Stay, or Leave

We surface hours later, and we're near Mako Island. We swim into the Moon Pool and Rikki turns to me.

"It's about time you make a decision. Are you staying with us, or going home." She says to me. I look at her, confused.

"Why can't I visit here and live there? I think it would be easier." I tell her.

"Then they could track you on your way here, and expose us all. All of the pods, and all of the mermaids could die." She answers, "I'll give you until sunrise to decide."

I feel like I've been shot in the gut. How can I decide by sunrise? How can I leave my life in the city behind. I can't leave my family behind, but the city was always home.

"Don't mind Rikki. She's probably freaking out after the close call with that archer." Cleo says, "I don't care what you choose. I only want you to choose what your heart desires."

"Yeah, choose what you think is right. I won't hold it against you." Emma says.

I sit there, thinking. Cleo and Emma's words stick with me. I only want you to choose what your heart desires. I want to stay with the pod, but the city is so amazing. The nightlife, and the New Year's party in Times Square. The three swim out of the Moon Pool later on, leaving me to think.

"How can I choose? These girls raised me, and treated me like their own daughter. I can never leave them!" I say to myself as I swim around the pool.

"We're back!" Cleo calls into the cave a few moments later. I nod, and go back to thinking.

"Have you made your decision yet, Alessa?" Emma asks. I shake my head, and return to my thoughts.

If I return, they'll just hunt me down. If I stay, I can live my life in peace. Peace or danger, that's all I can think about. I could stay here and live in peace, or live in the city. If I leave and go to the city, I will have to live in contestant fear for my safety.

"It's almost sunrise, Alessa." Rikki says.

I make my decision, and wait until sunrise. As the orange sky forces the darkness away, I turn to face the three mermaids.

"So, what's your decision?" Cleo asks. I take a deep breath.

"I'm going to stay, and live with the pod." I tell them. After that, I let out a breath I realize I was holding in.

They all surround me and hug me tight, and I hug them back. I feel like I'm at home, and I never want to leave.
----------------------------------------------
Oh boy, that ending was a nice one to write. I want to give a special thanks to H2O: Just Add Water and Marvel for their characters that inspired this fanfic. I also want to thank my friends who were with me until I finished, and helped me write this last chapter. I will have a new fanfic out by Saturday, I promise.