Hawkeye

I moved out that year, and I have a job at a Starbucks. I am saving up to go to NYU, and I need the extra money for rent. My mom (Rikki) is paying rent for me so I can go to college, so I good to go there. Even though we live on different continents, she still cares for me. I don't have a car, so no worries there.

One day, I was working and this blonde guy walks in. His hair looks like it was about the same color as Meg's, which makes me hold back tears. The thought of that morning thirteen years ago makes my stomach tie itself in knots.

I force a smile and walk to his table. His eyes lock with mine for a minute, and I remember where I saw him.

I was running through the hallways of the base. Dad was in his lab, trying to find a way to cure mutants. I wasn't watching where I was going, and I ran into a tall man I only knew as Agent Barton or Hawkeye. He helped me up, and I kept running.

"What can I do for you, Barton?" I calmly ask.

"How do you know?" He asks.

"Heartwood." I say, choking back tears.

"Alessa? What happened to you!" He exclaims.

"I went to live with someone else." I say, while I feel the tears sting.

"Oh." He says.

"Anyways, what can I get for you?" I say, hiding the immense sadness in my heart.

"Coffee." He tells me.

I run over, and almost on cue, the rain starts. I feel like some deity or something just wants me to expose myself.

I use the same trick I used thirteen years ago. I take a steady step, and each time, the rain parts.

"Here is your coffee, Mr. Barton." I say.

I could care less if he thanks me, because I need to get indoors. I speed walk back. Then, the twins walk in.

"On the run again, girls?" I causally ask as I lead them to a table.

"No, Alessa. He doesn't know we're still alive after our 'untimely deaths' twelve years ago." Arena says.

"Yeah, the outdoor retreat was quite the untimely end for us." Lara remarks with a giggle.

I bring them their usual Strawberry Acai Refreshers and Caramelized Apple Pound cakes.

They slide me their usual $10 and $5 tip. I hand them their receipt and they leave.

"Thank you! Come again!" I say with a smile.

Barton is still there. Someone else is with him now, and the sight makes me shudder.

Tony Stark. The Iron Man.

I walk over to their table. Luckily, the rain has stopped. I shoot Barton a glare before speaking.

"May I take your orders, gentlemen?" I say with a plastered-on smile.

"Just coffee again." Barton answers.

"I'll take a coffee, too." Tony says.

I turn back to get their coffees and that fake smile melts off my face, and I replace it with a mix of anger and dread. The TV is talking about a recent victory for the Avengers with the help of S.H.I.E.L.D. and I turn it off immediately.

"Hey, lady! Turn it back on." A customer says.

"No way." I grumble.

I walk over to Tony and Barton and set their coffees down on the table. They should leave soon. Plus, I have more customers to attend to.

Six hours later

They are still here, just talking. I want to kick them out, but Tony Stark is here, so he better have a decent tip. Everyone else has left, and the other waitresses and waiters have even gone home. I have to close the store, but they won't leave!

"Alright, the store is about to close. I'm bringing you a check." I say as I storm off.

"Wait, Alessa." Tony says.

"What, Stark! I have been at this café for hours and you have been here since I opened. Now what do you want?" I say.

"I want to know about what happened during the rain." He says.

Great. I should have let another waitress take the coffee. I shouldn't have risked it.

"Do you really want answers? I'm a mutant, okay? I'm totally a mutant with an attitude and highlights! You are making zero sense!" I scream.

"I'm not crazy, and you were deflecting rain." Barton says.

"Maybe your eyes were tricking you." I snap as I turn off the sign, "I am closing the store. Have a nice night, Iron Creep and Bird Boy."

They leave, and I have never been more relieved. Tony did not even leave a tip!