Chapter 4- Dinner (RW)

*Dustin's POV*

His face looks so dead as he talks, looking away from me. "I doubt that... I'm worthless so they're probably happy that I'm gone" He whispers.

I can't help it, nobody talks bad about my mate! I raise my voice, "Who the fuck convinced you that?!" My fist hits the island in frustration.

He flinches and looks at me with panic in his eyes, his breathing fast. "W-wha?" He can't get any words out between his frantic breathing.

"Dustin, hey chill..." Connor says pulling at my fist to get my attention. "Don't scare him. He doesn't need that right now." Connor seemed serious, although green goo was splattered on his face he didn't falter.

I look back over at him, he's crossed his arms to his chest and was looking away from us holding his breath and then breathing hard, then holding it again. It seemed how he tried to calm down. I sigh feeling my eyebrows squint in frustration. I scoot over and pull him into a hug. His breathing seems to calm, as his little pants get quieter. I breathe in his scent, he smelled more like me now- which I'm all for, but I could also smell him. His strange sweet smell. I hug him closer and pull him on my lap while cupping his butt. He squeaks a bit trying to pull back but I just hugged him closer. I won't let anyone or anything hurt you again... You're safe here in my arms.

"You're safe..." I whisper, my head resting on his shoulder. He shivers, but visibly relaxes against me. I can't help but smile. He pulls back once again and this time I let him lean against the island, with both my hands on either side of him. He's looking up at my face. I feel my cheeks rise up in a gentle smile. His skin is a harsh shade of red, I could see the details on him clearer now. His dark grey eyes didn't sparkle much, dark thick eyelashes, gray bags showed a lack of sleep and his black hair curled in every which way still damp from earlier. His hair was slightly long, able to reach his shoulders when it was dry. His bottom lip was busted in that cruel way which hung open, and he had a nasty bruise on his left cheek under his eye with scratches going down. He shifts on my lap and looks away as if searching for words.

"U-um..." He looks around, twisting to see Connor behind the island dropping various items on the counter. "S-so where am I?" His hands are pulled in front of him and tightly clenched together. His legs were still on either side of me, in a sort of straddling pose that made me smile.

"Well you're in our pack, it's called The Ashen." I smile down at him, he's probably heard bad things about it... considering my- fucking dad...

"Oh... Thank you." He says quietly looking down. He shifts again, his face getting slightly redder. Oh gosh I just wanna hug him again. I brush my thumb against his shoulder and he moves to the side.

"You-you probably didn't wa-want me right there." He awkwardly laughs while stuttering. I stop him before he can get off, leaving him half on and half around my left leg.

"You could stay." I say softly, my hands settle on his waist.

He sputters out a few words before slipping off me, his face completely red. "I-I-I gotta g-go to the bathroom! Yeah the -the bathroom." He awkwardly hops around the stool and shoots me a nervous smile before wobbling over to where the bathroom is. Should I help him?

Connor is looking at me when I turn back. "Well that was awkward." He states mixing something in a saucepan.

"Shut up." I say glaring at him.

"Not only did you embarrass him, you're like entirely oblivious to the position you put him in." He points the spatula at me flinging some form of green goo on the island.

I give him a confused look, "What do you mean? I just held him."

"Yeah..." He gives me a dumb look. "Maybe you're just new to being gay." He mumbles, I glare at him. "You just made him sit on your lap, and didn't let him down. As your mate he's probably super sexually confused right now~." Connor laughs slightly.