Day 6

"College life is that part of your life that you are going to relive in your memories till you breathe."

Day 6- College

"I can't believe you're still trying to find some reasons." I say, while tossing my book aside. "I didn't expect you to come again. It's Saturday."

Maggie smirks, taking a seat next to me. "I always keep my word."

"I'm not worthy of your attention. I'm a big mess." I reply, lying down on my bed.

It is quiet upstairs, because everyone else is downstairs, either in the dining hall finishing their homework, or playing with some toys in the living room.

"How many times do I have to tell you that you are worth it, Alex? You are just as special as everyone else." Maggie whispers, grabbing my hand.

I turn around, rolling my body away from her. I stare up at the roof of the room. "What are your plans for later?"

"Wait, what?" Maggie asks, a very confused tone in her voice.

"What are you going to do after high school?" I ask, smiling softly.

Her rosy red lips stretch into a small smile. "I don't know. Going to college, I guess. What are you gonna do?"

"Nothing. I've got no future."

"Don't say things like that."

I sigh, turning my face away from Maggie. She still doesn't want to understand that I'm a lost cause.

Suddenly, someone knocks on the door, startling both me and Maggie. I jump up from my bed, as Maggie follows my example. "Come in." I mutter.

Mother Elizabeth comes in with some laundry. "You two should go downstairs, because dinner is ready."

Maggie gives Mother Elizabeth a little smile. "Oh, no. I'm just stopping by. But thanks for the offer."

"Oh, wait!" Mother Elizabeth says, shaking her head. "You are staying here with us. We've got enough room for another guest."

"I don't think Maggie-" I start to say.

"Are you sure? I don't want to be a burden to you." Maggie interrupts.

Mother Elizabeth smiles, shaking her head. "Of course not."

"Fine. Follow me." I say, a little irritated.

Maggie and I walk downstairs, make our way to the dining room and take a seat near the front of the table. A few of the caretakers are setting up a part of the table, but there are still a few children who are making their homework. A girl, maybe a year or two younger than me, approaches me with her Chemistry homework.

"Alex, can you please help me?" the girl asks me, handing over a sheet of paper.

"Of course. Take a seat." I say, while I look at the sheet.

As I explain her how it works, I catch Maggie looking at me. But at the same time, she isn't really staring at me. Her brown eyes are bewildered and distant, as she gazes at me. I can't help thinking about what she is thinking about.

After a few minutes of explaining, the girl gives me a hug to thank me and goes away.

"Maggie?" I say, giving her a light push. "Earth to Maggie."

Maggie snaps out of her thoughts.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Maggie answers, as she puts a forced smile across her face.

"What were you thinking about?"

"Nothing." Maggie replies, biting her lower lip. "You're quite smart."

"Well, I like school."

"I don't think I like it as much as you."

I smile, letting out a low chuckle. "You just have to learn to love school."

A few minutes later, Mother Elizabeth comes into the dining room and asks the kids to put their books away and take a seat at the table.

"Do you like spaghetti?" Mother Elizabeth asks Maggie.

"That's my favourite dish."

"Well, you're gonna love our spaghetti, then." I tell Maggie, smiling.

I eat my spaghetti very slowly as I see Maggie enjoying hers. Mother Elizabeth's spaghetti is literally the best spaghetti in the world.

After dinner, it's my turn to help clean up, while the other kids finish up their homework. Maggie is so kind that she offers to help me.

"Do you know that Alex is quite smart, actually?" Maggie asks Mother Elizabeth, trying to start a conversation with her.

"I do know that she's a smart girl. I've known her for eight years now and I've seen her grow into this beautiful talented young woman." Mother Elizabeth starts off, as she turns around to face me. "And I've been wanting to tell you something, Alex. You know that you've got a special place in my heart, right?"

"Yes." I answer, hands trembling, feeling nervous about what she is going to say.

"And you are an extraordinary girl, both at the orphanage and at school. Sadly, you'll be gone in two years and I can't believe that so many families haven't chosen you to be their daughter. But, I want you to have a bright future so the other caretakers and I saved up a fund for you to go to college."

My eyes start to fill with tears, as I almost faint into Mother Elizabeth's arms.

"You deserve this, Alex. You are a smart and talented woman. We weren't able to save a lot of money, but it should be enough for you to stay a semester or two at a university." she says, smiling.

A smile appears from ear to ear as I stare at Mother Elizabeth. "I can't thank you enough for this, Mother Elizabeth."

"You were and are destined to do great things, honey. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise." Mother Elizabeth replies, giving a smile back. "I'm going to do the rest of the laundry. Can you please finish the dishes?"

"Of course. Thank you so much." I repeat.

Mother Elizabeth steps out of the kitchen, as Maggie approaches me.

"What?" I say sarcastically, noticing that Maggie has a huge smile on her face.

"You've got a future, Alex. That's why you have to stay alive." Maggie answers, staring at me with her dark brown eyes. "Stay here, so you can go to college."