Day 9

"A teacher takes a hand, opens a mind and touches a heart."

Day 9- Miss Marin

I stare at the clock waiting for class to end. Ten minutes left, I can handle that.

No, I really can't!

"Earth to Miss Danvers, please." Miss Marin asks, noticing that I am not paying attention.

I tune back into the lesson to see my teacher and several students staring at me. I see a few more heads look up and turn in my direction, and blood rushes to my cheeks.

I usually am able to focus in class, but it seems to go wrong lately. My mind runs wild with thoughts of all sorts of things, but mostly thoughts about Maggie. Why hasn't she ran away already? It's already been nine days. Most people would've ran away by now.

I look at the board, seeing a crazy amount of numbers. For the umpteenth time, I can't wrap my mind around it.

One guy near me, noticing my confusion, whispers, "Five."

I give him a grateful look and answer my teacher nervously. "Five?"

Miss Marin frowns, repeating my answer. "Five."

Everybody is looking at me. Their eyes burn through my skin as lasers. A few people are laughing, but I don't know why they are laughing. I turn to the guy who gave me the answer, and I see him laughing. I can feel my dignity shrinking with every second. My breathing goes heavy and swallow and I'm unable to speak.

Why is this happening to me? Who could possibly solve that stupid question? Probably the students who are actually paying attention.

"Okay. Miss Luthor, do you want to try?" Miss Marin asks, turning to another girl.

The girl gets up and starts writing a lot of numbers next to the other ones.

Tears start to pool up in my eyes. I grab my things and rush to the door, barely able to stutter out the word 'bathroom' to Miss Marin.

I dash to the bathroom as fast as my legs can carry me. When I get there, I lock myself in the biggest stall, sit down on the seat and cry. I let out a quiet sob and shudder with tears. I try to stop crying, but I fail to do so. I can still feel all those eyes on me, the taunting laughs. Between sobs, I can hear footsteps coming closer. I try to control my sobbing, so that the person won't notice me. After what feels like hours, the door of the restroom opens.

"Alex?" A familiar voice asks, "It's me. Where are you?"

"Maggie?" I ask, my voice rough and scratching my throat.

"Come out, please." Maggie says desperately, "Please, there is no one here."

I come out of the stall, shaking heavily. I look down, because I can't stand to look into her eyes as I know how they will look. They will be sad, so sad that one second of looking into them could break your heart.

Maggie looks at me, her eyes latching onto mine and her gaze holding me captive. Maggie comes closer and she does something she has never done before.

She interwhines my fingers with hers.

I feel my heart twist and flutter inside my chest and something inside me twists; I feel a sense of love.

"Alex."

My name slips off her tongue affectionately, as if her life depends on it.

"Alex, it's okay. I'm here." Maggie says , her voice gentle as she tries to soothe me.