Chapter 7: Aftermath

I slipped in and out of consciousness, opening my eyes for brief seconds only to see looming figures whispering in worried voices. There were different figures every time I opened my eyes, but one figure remained constant. Michael.

I was sweating every time I woke up, and the pain never went away. I wanted to wake up, to stop hurting, and to just be conscious for more than five seconds.

Finally, after what felt like years, I opened my eyes to see Michael sitting at the desk, slumped over on the desk, breathing steadily. He was asleep.

I tried to sit up a little, but the pain that ripped through me kept me in place. I winced a slid back into the position I had been when I woke up. I was thristy, and sweating like a pig. "Michael?" I asked in a hoarse voice.

Instantly he stirred, and sat up like he was drunk, and spun around to look at me. Then he shot up from the chair and hurried over to me. "Hey, how're you feeling?" he asked.

Despite how badly I hurt, I narrowed my eyes. "What kind of question is that?" I asked back.

He smiled. "A question that I've been wondering for the past week," he replied.

My eyes widened. "I've been asleep a week?!" I excalaimed, and instantly regretted it. My chest burned and I clenched my jaw. "Damn this hurts."

He nodded. "Yeah. You broke almost all of your ribs."

I let out a slight sigh. "Holy shit... what else did I manage to break?"

"You broke your left leg from the top of the thigh all the way down to your ankle, shattered your right forearm, cracked your left wrist, and got a concussion," he explained. I watched his eyes, and it was almost like he was the one who had broken everything.

I looked away from him and swallowed. My hroat was dry, and my stomach rumbled a little. "How long am I going to be stuck here?" I asked, already feeling restless at the thought of being stuck in a bed for a week.

He shrugged. "We don't know, honestly. You were doing great when you were in your wolf form, but your bones were healing wrong so we had to get you to shift back, and that required some rebreaking."

"Well, can I at least get some water, some food, and some morphine?" I asked.

He smiled. "Sure. I'll be back with some water and food," he said.

I nodded and shifted slowly in my bed to a much more comfortable position. I examined what I could without moving around too much. My right arm was wrapped in a hulking cast, and my left leg was propped up with three pillows and was also wrapped in a cast from the top of my thigh and covered almost all of my leg and foot except for my toes, which were bruised. My left wrist was in a brace and my head still hurt a little. I felt like a fucking ninja... not.

A few minutes later, Michael returned with a glass filled with some of kind of smoothie and a bottle of advil. The smoothie was a dull pink color and it smelled a little funny. "What the hell is that?" I asked.

"Advil," he replied.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "I meant the smoothie."

He smiled. "It'll help. Take four advil and then take a drink of this," he said and then set the smoothie down on the little table beside the bed. He popped open the bottle of advil while I eyed the smoothie. I would not drink it until he told me what the hell was in it.

He held out the advil and I gently took the pills from him, but just stared at the cup when he handed it to me. "I am not drinking that," I said.

"You need to, though. It's a... special remedy."