Chapter 18: Escape

I slowly drifted back to consciousness, and saw that I was back in Michael's house, except I was on the floor in the hangout room. My vision cleared, but my head hurt and my mouth felt dry. I swallowed, and then realized that I had something in my mouth. I glanced around, saw unfamiliar people standing around, staring at nothing.

I sat up, and my hands were restricted. I panicked for a moment, and then I was shoved back onto the floor. "Stay down!" Sarah snapped.

I looked up at her and smiled despite the fact that I had something in my mouth. I tried to say something, but even I couldn't understand what I was saying. She bent down and pulled the piece of cloth out of my mouth so I could speak.

"What'd you say?" she asked.

I gathered spit in my mouth, and then spat in her face as I brought my feet, that were also tied, up and kicked her in the stomach as hard as I could. She grunted in pain and fell back, slamming into the wall. Then a couple of the people standing around closed in on me and grabbed me by the elbows. The cloth was shoved back into my mouth and I struggled against them with no success.

Sarah stood up, wiping the spit from her face. She gave a harsh laugh as she walked over to me. "You really are a little bitch, aren't you?" she asked.

She bent down in front of me again and grabbed my face with one hand and turned my head to the left where my eyes landed on the crumpled figure of Michael laying with his back to us. His hands and feet were bound too, and I could see that he also had a piece of cloth tied around and shoved into his mouth. My heart ached at the sight of him.

"See what happens when he chooses to take you into the Dahlia Pack?" she asked. "And then falls in love with you?"

I growled as Sarah turned my face back to look at her. I wanted to kick her ass so badly my whole body ached. Maybe if I shifted I would be able to take these people down and get Michael out of here...

"Don't even think about it," Sarah said as she stood up. "These are Zane's wolves. Trained to kill. You wouldn't even make it an inch before you were torn to pieces."

I glared at her, thinking, Oh yeah? Just watch me, bitch.

She looked at the people restraining me and motioned for them to let me go. "Let her be with her shitty alpha," she said. "Zane wants you guys out of here. Two stay outside the door to make sure they don't escape."

With that, Sarah left with everyone else in the room following after her, leaving me and Michael in the room alone.

As soon as the door shut, I slipped my legs through my arms to get them to where my hands were in front of me. I untied my leg restraints and stood up, pulling the cloth from my mouth and hurrying to Michael's side. I turned him over slowly, and gasped in horror. His face was bruised badly, his left eye was swollen, his lip was split, and there was dried blood coming from his nostrils. I gently shook him. "Michael, wake up," I said, pulling the cloth out of his mouth.

Nothing.

I put my ear to his mouth and felt his warm breath brush against it just slightly. I shook him harder. "Michael," I said.

He groaned a little and I continued shaking him.

"Michael, please," I begged, glancing up the stairs toward the door.

Finally, his good eye fluttered open and he smiled a little when he saw me, and then it faded. "Ren..." he whispered. "I thought you'd managed to get far away."

I shook my head and untied his hands. "No. I heard them breaking in and I came back," I replied.

When his hands were free I helped him sit up. He rubbed his wrists as I untied his legs. "You shouldn't have, Ren," he said. "You have to find a way out."