Chapter 17: Sarah

Something was wrong. It was very wrong, yet Michael couldn't seem to sense it. He just kept holding me, kissing me, and acting like nothing was wrong. I wanted to pull away from him, to tell him that something was wrong, but I couldn't seem to make my body do any of the actions I needed to do. I could feel my body metled and molded against his, as if our bodies had become one being.

His touch gave me goosebumps as his hands explored my body. His lips were so soft against mine, his heart beating steadily and vibrating subtly against my chest. My whole body was on fire, and all I wanted was his touch, his caress, his love to never end.

There was a crashing sound behind us, and Michael pulled back and pushed me behind him. I tried to glance over his shoulder at what was there, but he wouldn't let me see. I could hear him growling protectively at the threat, and when a growl was returned, chills ran up my spine. I knew that growl from when my father had tried to challenge him. Uncle Zane.

I peeked around Michael at a towering, pure black wolf with piercing yellow eyes. He was heavily muscled, and fucking huge. Michael was no match for him, and I knew that. I tugged desperately on his shirt. "Michael, we have to get out of here!" I cried, but Michael wouldn't budge. He kept staring down the other wolf, whose teeth were bared and yellow eyes glowing with anger. "Michael, please!"

Then Michael stepped away from me and dropped to the ground in his wolf form, snarling at my uncle. He was muscled and fairly sized, but was no match against my uncle, and Zane knew that.

He charged Michael first, snapping, and then everything turned to chaos. The sun outside had faded into darkness, and then red as the two wolves tore at each other. Blood spilled everywhere and growls turned to screeching cries of pain and then back to growls... and I was helpless.

Tears ran down my cheeks as I tried to find something to do. But it was too late. Michael fell to the ground, bloodied and weak. Zane towered over him, suddenly twice the size he had been a moment ago. He slammed a huge paw down on Michael's side and I heard ribs crack. Michael yelped and my heart stang with the pain of seeing him hurt. I needed to save him, so I ran at my uncle trying to shift, but I couldn't. So I just kept running at him, but it seemed like I was running in place and Michael and my uncle were getting farther and farther away.

"Michael!!" I called desperately. He looked over at me, blue eyes watery with tears. He was fading, and there was nothing I could do about it.

Zane's large jaws parted and his lips pulled pack, revealing jaggedly sharp fangs with blood and saliva dripping from them. My eyes never left Michael's though, and peace glided over them just before my uncle's jaws tore into his throat. I half screamed, half cried as I watced his eyes go completely lifeless.

I dropped to my knees, and then Michae's body was laying before me, bloodied and mangled and lifeless. His body slowly transformed back to his human form, and I pulled him into my eyes, sobbing. He cared enough for me to take the risk of bringing me into a new pack, a new family. Now he was dead because of it, and there was nothing I could have done to stop it.

I glanced up as thousands of wolves, black as shadows, filled into the room, practically floating around me. Their eyes were red, and they growled at me and nipped at me. They were ready to close in on me as if I were a sick and trapped deer, but my uncle, who now stood before me, kept them at bay. He was in his human form, but there wasn't a trace of blood on him, as if he had just stood by while some other wolf had killed Michael.

"Look at what you did, Ren," he said softly, and motioned for my to look at myself.

I glanced down and saw bloodied paws, and I looked down at Michael's blood that was pooled at my feet. I was in my wolf form... and my jaws were covered in blood. I looked at Michael's body again and saw his eyes were wide, and suddenly his mouth was moving. "You killed me, Ren," he said. "You killed me."