Chapter 6: First Day of Classes

THE NEXT DAY

Everyone woke up and got ready for classes. Then the bell rang for everyone to go to class.

"Oh, man! I can't be late on the first day!" a yellow monster with no feet said.

He tried to run, but he was going about two feet an hour.

Meanwhile, the other students touched the foot of one of the statues outside the Scaring School. Once they entered, Y/N and Mike looked around the classroom in awe.

"Wow," they whispered.

They sat down in their seats as two monsters looked at Mike.

"You got to be kidding me," one of them commented.

"I'm so nervous!" Randall said as he sat by Y/N.

"Relax. It will be fine," Mike reassured from the other side of her.

"I'm Y/N, by the way. We haven't officially met yet," Y/N replied, holding out her hand.

"Randy," Randall introduced, accepting it.

"Good morning, students. Welcome to Scaring 101. I am Professor Knight. Now I'm sure all of you were the scariest monster in your town. Well, bad news, kids. You're in my town now, and I do not scare easily," Professor Knight said.

Then he let out a small yelp when he heard someone flying around. Most of the windows were shut and the being finally landed, letting everyone see who she was.

"Dean Hardscrabble. This is a pleasant surprise," Professor Knight greeted.

"She's a legend. She broke the all-time Scare Record with the scream in that very can!" Mike whispered.

"I remember! She is my idol!" Y/N exclaimed quietly.

"I don't mean to interrupt. I just thought I'd drop by to see the terrifying faces joining my program," Hardscrabble remarked as she polished her canister a little.

"Well, I'm sure my students would love to hear a few words of inspiration," Professor Knight suggested.

"Inspiration? Very well," Hardscrabble agreed then explained, "Scariness is the true measure of a monster. If you're not scary, what kind of a monster are you? It's my job to make great students greater, not make mediocre students less mediocre. That is why at the end of the semester there will be a final exam. Fail that exam and you are out of the Scaring program. So, I should hope you're all properly inspired."

She took off, leaving all the students shocked at what she said.

"All right. All right. Who can tell me the properties of an effective roar?" Professor Knight asked, changing the subject.

Mike immediately raised his hand.

"Yes?" Professor Knight answered.

"There are actually five. Those include the roar's resonance, the duration of the roar, and the--" Mike listed.

Then a roar caught everyone off guard and they looked to see a huge, blue monster with pink polka dots.

"Whoops. Sorry. I heard someone say 'roar,' so I just kind of went for it," he said then greeted other monsters as he approached his seat, "Oh, excuse me, sorry. I didn't mean to scare you there. Hey, how you doing?"

"Very impressive, Mister..." Professor Knight said.

"Sullivan. Jimmy Sullivan," the blue monster introduced.

"Sullivan. Like Bill Sullivan, the Scarer?" Professor Knight wondered.

"Yeah. He's my dad," Sulley answered.

Everyone gasped at that. But Y/N couldn't quit staring at him and thinking about how handsome he was.

"I should have known. I expect big things from you," Professor Knight stated.

"Well, you won't be disappointed," Sulley assured.

"Uh...I'm sorry. Should I keep going?" Mike asked.

"No, no. Mr. Sullivan's covered it," Professor Knight said.

Sulley clicked his tongue at him.

"Huh. Everyone take out your Scaring textbooks and open them to Chapter One," Professor Knight instructed.

"Hey, bub. Can I borrow a pencil? I forgot all my stuff," he asked, the guy gave him one, and Sulley used it to pick at his teeth as he said, "Ah! All right. Yes. There we go. That will get it. Mmm...Yeah."

Sulley saw Y/N and wrote her a note, turned it into a paper airplane then gently threw it in the air. It landed in her lap, she unfolded it, and read it to herself.

"The name's Sulley. I look forward to working with you this year."

Y/N looked to see him wink at her, which made her blush and smile. This year ought to be interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Sulley is flirting with you! Ooh! Is it possible to fan girl while you're writing this? Lol!