Closing Time

I think one of the main themes here at Ooorah, in my inbox, and probably even in your minds this month has been, "What the heck is decopunk?"

To go from such a well-known subgenre of scifi such as Space Opera--the Pappa, the Grandaddy of them all--to decopunk--the small, red-headed, quiet cousin in the corner--may seem like a disservice to the subgenre itself.

But as you see, you just leafed through a combination of short stories, articles, and the best installment of Smith & Jones to date (that ones for you, AngusEcrivain). Their common theme? The small, shiny, good-can-be-bad subgenre, decopunk.

For me, this issue made me think. Over and over as I read, proofed, and reread these entries, my interests were piqued by the shininess of the genre, even in the midst of tragic events. Picture if you will, a family of four sitting down to a nice dinner, woefully ignoring the bomb going off outside their own window.

This, to me, is the essence of decopunk. It leaves me wondering, pondering. I think all of us have a little space in our head where decopunk resides. Perhaps this issue made you dust the cobwebs off the door in your own mind and step on in.

You probably noticed that this issue was full of authors that are only beginning to grace Ooorah with their presence. This was one of the main goals of Tevun Krus--to unite authors for the sake of educating, entertaining, for fun and for family ties. Thank you to all our authors, to all of you who submitted entries for that ridiculously awesome Space Opera Contest. We are looking forward to one of you writing the next entry for Smith and Jones (don't be afraid to take those men anywhere. They might complain, but you hold the reins), and couldn't do this without you.

And that brings us to the next issue at hand:

What scifi subgenre is the next issue of Tevun Krus going to pour its efforts into capturing?

Well friends, July is going to be all about Super Heroes.

Dust off your capes. We expect your entries to come pouring in!

But what about after that? Issues seven and eight?

Well, friends, we have decided to go ahead and let you in on the secret. So here is the line up for the next THREE issues of Tevun Krus, and the preferred final submission date for articles/stories per issue:

#6: Superhuman - Monday, June 30th

#7: Cyberpunk - Monday, July 28th

#8: Dystopian SciFi - Monday, September 1st

#9: Spunky Heroine SF - Monday, September 29th

Why are we telling you this? Well friends, so you can contribute! We here at TK know your schedules are full of all things other than Wattpad (or, they should be). Pick a genre and contact @ForbiddenPlanet or @parishsp so you get the OK to start writing.

Thanks for all you do, friends. We hope you enjoyed this issue; we are looking forward to many more. We can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

As always, happy reading.

SP Parish