Chapter 4 - Eden

[September 3, 2017]

“They're all going to die…my little chicken nugget” Katerina says, her voice quivering. She drops to the floor and begins sobbing. Eden comes to her side and pats her shoulder.

“Katerina, come on! We’re waiting for you!” Eden says, tears forming in her eyes as well.

Even Andy’s eyes begin to water, as he stares down at Katerina in empathy. Everyone’s going through a hard time.

Suddenly, two figures speed out from the same door the group went through previously. They bolt towards the back of the field at an insanely fast speed.

Eden’s eyes brighten as she sees a familiar face. “Rachel! Thank the gods you're here.”

Amanda scoffs. “Wow, Eden. What am I, a potato?”

Rachel smiles as she tries to catch her breath. Her face is red from running, and her eyes, pink from being exposed to the dangerous gas for too long.

“I couldn't take it. Everyone in my class were being hoes and went for the mask instead of running,” she says between her breaths. “I saw you guys running and followed you here.”

“That’s great! Another one on the team.” Andy says with a smile.

“Seriously guys. Please stop ignoring my existence,” Amanda mutters.

Serena rolls her eyes as Andy begins to furiously tap away at his phone. Suddenly he pauses, and begins to swipe down on his phone, as if reading a news article. “Hey guys, we’re not the only school that's under attack.” Andy suddenly says.

“Holy shit...” Eden looks at Katerina. “It’s gotta be them. Remember those scientists from the research facility? It’s the same gas!”

Everyone looks at her with a set of confused eyes. Katerina stares at Eden for a second before realizing what Eden means. “You mean those weird ass American scientists with the super disturbing notebook? Yeah! I remember now.”

Eden nods, looking at the group. “The people that started this entire thing are up to no good. They’re testing an incredibly dangerous gas, and using specific schools in Canada as test subjects.”

Katerina is ignorant to the situation. “Andy, how the hell do you have WiFi?” she questions.

Andy shows an approving smirk. “I have my ways,” he replies in a haughty voice.

Serena shakes her head towards Andy and faces Eden. “Are you sure it's them?”

“Hundred percent.” Eden looks around, the smell becoming worse than before. “Katerina. Take out the stupid notebook. I bet it’s still in your jacket after I put it back in there.”

Katerina takes out the old, ugly notebook. She passes it to Amanda, who begins frantically reading the contents inside. The rest of the students, except Eden and Katerina, crowd around the book, following Amanda’s actions.

After reading a few pages, the group looks up with mixed emotions. Andy looks extremely confused, Rachel and Serena stare in suspicion, and Amanda has a dreadful fear in her eyes.

Andy, searching for words, begins stuttering, “Y-you’ve got t-to be kidding…”

“This is a prank, right? There’s no way this is legit!” Serena remarks.

“Please tell us this isn’t true…” Amanda mutters.

The rest of the students are too shocked to say anything.

Eden and Katerina stare back at them, dead serious. Katerina sighs, then explains, “Okay. I know it seems insane to think that our high classmates are turning into flesh-eating zombies, but hey! Nothing normal has happened after the principal announced that lockdown. We’re not kidding. We recognize that stupid gas. When we went to America and visited that research facility. We saw with our own eyes: this exact gas being tested on people. It’s gonna be the end of us.”

“It’s not gonna be the end of us!” Eden shouts, catching Katerina off guard, “We probably have around twenty four hours to get our supplies and hide. It would usually take over a month to infect all of Canada, but with the gas being used everywhere, who knows how much we have longer before everyone is infected.”

The students are shocked at the situation and overwhelmed with the amount of information coming from Katerina and Eden.

“Eden. How do you know that’s going to keep us alive?” Rachel asks.

“I waste my life on the internet. I know what I'm doing.” Eden grins reassuringly. “Before we start to find specific supplies, we need a starter. Food, water, weapons, and something to carry our stuff with.”

“Where the hell are we supposed to find that?”, asks Andy, desperately looking at Eden.

“I don’t really know…” Eden replies, to everyone's disappointment. She sits down on the grass, and begins thinking to herself.

Suddenly, Katerina claps her hands, and everyone faces her. “I know! Eden, remember the cool army training program you go to? Scouts? They probably have guns and all sorts of equipment there! Also, you told me about some type of military food called...um...MRUs?”

Eden grins, impressed at her friend’s creativity. “That’s an amazing idea! I’m impressed, though they’re called “MREs” Meals-Ready-to-Eat,” Eden says, “Also, it’s not Scouts. The program is called Trainees. Anyway, I know a location not far from here that has exactly what we need to survive for at least a week.”

“By the way, what’s Trainees?” Andy questions her.

“It’s a youth program where military officials train teens to become soldiers.” Rachel replies, as she is a cadet in the Trainee program as well.

“What I don’t get is why you of all people know where all the weapons are,” she complains to Eden.

Eden’s dad is part of the staff of Trainees, so she was given the location of a secret bunker, the place where all the supplies were kept. It was designed to seem like a normal portable classroom to everyone else because it would be bad if outsiders got their hands on guns and whatnot.

The group then silents themselves, getting ready to leave on cue.

Serena forces a loud cough to attract everyone’s attention. “Don't let weak victims drag us down. Helping any random civilians will only make our lives harder, so whatever happens, don't listen to them.” Serena speaks up, informing the group.

“I agree. I know that as a good citizen, we should be saving people, but our lives are at stake.” Eden says.

“Now, remember to only get things that we will need the most.” Katerina quickly explains. “We’ve got athletic people, but we can’t hold onto too much.” She smiles at Rachel and Amanda.

Eden smiles. “Good luck guys. It's going to be dangerous. From what I’ve learned in fiction stories, just don't. Get. Bitten. If you ever see one of those flesh-eating corpse things, get the shuck outta there. If you have to, grab the first thing you can get your hands on, and whack ‘em real hard on the head. If I give you guys a signal, stop whatever you're doing and follow me. Let's get going.”

Following Eden’s lead, the group of students exit school property and head towards the portable, their best hope of survival.