Flying and Planning

Once we were in the air for a while I relaxed and when Jean looked back to us I realized that it was alright to walk around. Logan unhooked me from my seat. I rumbled thanks before I leaped from my bed and strode toward Poultice.

Poultice looked down at me and I unhooked him from his own harness that held him in on the seat. "Come on," I urged as I rested my head against the seat. Poultice padded onto my head before I lowered it and he leaped down, wagging his tail.

"Thanks Starlight," he barked before he leaped onto my neck to whisper into my ear. "I don't like Erik."

I rumbled in amusement and licked his ear before he leaped back down. "Don't worry. He's not too bad I suppose. You just have to get to know him."

Poultice narrowed his eyes before he romped forward, his tail kinked over his back. He padded toward Bobby who was talking quietly with Rouge.

I smiled before I sat Tony leap from his own seat. I knew that at his age he probably couldn't sit for long. He stretched out and arched his back and I knew his wings were hidden someone in there. I strode toward him and flicked my tail over my back, blinking my eyes.

"How are you doing," I asked as I watched Tony stand back up to his full height and I realized that he was larger than I was, not by much.

"I'm alright," breathed Tony but his eyes showed his weariness. He was losing his strength and soon he might not be able to do the things he once could do. "I hope I didn't scare your pup too much."

I shook my head, my eyes bright. "I'm sure you didn't. He's very sensitive but then again so was his mother."

"He's been through a lot, do you think he's going to be able to make it," I barked as my tail wagged and my eyes shone.

"I do too," Tony murmured before he looked at Poultice. The young pup was running around seeming to be practicing battle moves by himself. Ever since he was born Poultice had had an interest in fighting. He was much smaller than his brother, Mirage, so he knew that he had to lean how to outsmart his opponent. "He has a very powerful mutant ability. In many ways it's even stronger than the Professors since he can go into more depth with it."

I gave a small nod of agreement and I sometimes feared if Poultice truly knew how powerful he was then it might hurt him. He wasn't ready for too much responsibility. He was just a pup. "I know this but he doesn't and I don't want him to. It was destroy him from the inside out."

Tony snorted in amusement and lashed his tail. "He is a mind reader, a past reader, and emotion reader. He can do anything basically he wants with the mind. This is a very dangerous power Starlight. Either he will learn to control it now with you or learn to control it later with someone else."

I growled a bit to him before I pushed myself to my paws and pushed away from my father. I didn't want to argue about Poultice with him right now. "Poultice," I called before the young pup bolted toward me. "Want to wrestle?"

His eyes brightened in excitement. "Yeah!" He suddenly leaped for me. I turned aside but I wasn't expecting it. He plowed into my flank and I staggered a bit. I regained my balance before I sprang for Poultice. I reared on my hind legs and readied myself to bright them down on his shoulders. He was ready though and he darted under my stomach. He turned and sunk his teeth into my tail.

It was just a pinch, more irritating than painful. I lifted my tail and Poultice along with it. He looked up at me with surprise in his eyes but he didn't let go. "You know I'm not sure the best way to defeat your enemy is biting their tail," I pointed out as I lowered my tail down and Poultice let it go, landing gently on his four paws.

"Sorry Starlight," he apologized as he shuffled his paws. "I thought that it would give you more pain than that."

"It probably would for another wolf but I heal," I barked before I licked him between the ears. "You're getting better but you're not quite there. Don't worry I'll teach you everything you need to learn."

"Thank you," he mumbled with a dip of his head before he sprang back and began bucking and yipping. He was trying to expel all of that pent up pup energy.

"He is quite cute when he's acting like that," Erik pointed out as he spoke to Mystique who was not won over as quickly.

"Perhaps but no less stubborn," Mystique grumbled but I wouldn't let it bother me. I didn't particularly like humans but I didn't call them names.

I just shrugged it off and strode toward Logan who was still sitting. He wasn't strapped in but he had his hands pressed against his temples. "How are you doing," I asked as I leaped beside him before I licked my paw and drew it over my ear.

"I've been better," Logan replied before he turned to look at me. "Poultice is getting stronger, isn't he?"

I nodded, pleased that someone else saw it and not just me. "He will make a very powerful wolf one day once he learns to master not only his mutant power but his strength and agility too. I'm just worried it's taking longer than his brother."

"Mirage is naturally stronger than Poultice," Logan reminded me. "He will catch up. He has strengths where Mirage doesn't and Mirage has strengths where Poultice does not."

I licked my lips a bit in nervousness. "I just hope that I can steer them into the path that they should go. I don't want them turning away from me and their true family for a hollow promise."

"I don't think they will," Logan murmured as the jet turned a bit and he closed his hands in a fist so tight that his knuckles turned white. "I don't think any one under the Professor's care would."

I was about to agree before I saw Erik talking quietly with John. My ears twitched and I wondered whether or not to be concerned. I couldn't make any decisions for anyone but I just hoped that no one I knew personally would ever lead a path other than the right one.