Medical Attention and Miracles

I quickly flew to the school and I wasn't sure what time it was. I knew it was late and I knew I needed some rest. However I managed to make it but I collapsed as soon as he made it to the entrance.

"Logan! Thruster! Charles!"

I heard pawsteps surging forward and when I looked up I saw Logan and Thruster. "Starlight! Poultice! What happened?"

I raised my head as Thruster drew toward me and I snarled. "Tend to Poultice! He needs it more than I do," I spat.

Thruster's eyes narrowed as if he wanted to argue but he thought better of it. He turned his head and gasped in pleasure as he saw the herbs. "You found it!"

"Poultice found it," I argued as I stretched out a paw and rested it on his. "Without him I would have never found them."

Logan smiled before he lowered down and scooped me up. I looked up to him and licked his neck. "I'm glad to see you," I murmured in relief.

"Come on," mumbled Thruster as he picked up the herbs with his wings and Poultice with his mouth. He strode toward and Logan followed.

They pushed into Keen's medical room and I saw the Professor already there. He had stayed with Keen, just as he had promised. He turned to look at Poultice and I and his eyes widened. "What happened?"

"Grizzly attack," I explained as Logan set me down and I regained my footing. I was more concerned about Poultice than me.

Thruster set Poultice down on a bed beside Keen and licked his swollen eye. Poultice groaned and Thruster's eyes softened in affection. "You'll be okay," he assured as he looked Poultice up and down. "However you have more thorns, brambles, thistles, and burrs than I think I've ever seen."

"Thanks," muttered Poultice as he blinked his good eye. "I feel like I have more things pricking me than hairs on my pelt."

"Well I'm not sure you have that many prickles," I argued as I looked at Poultice with pride in my eyes.

"Starlight," breathed Poultice as he licked my muzzle. "You saved me!"

"No you saved me," I argued before I saw the Professor turn and run his hand gently down Poultice's flank. He whimpered and drew away but the Professor shot him a stern yet concerned look and Poultice relaxed.

The Professor grabbed a thorn and tugged it out. Poultice flinched but the Professor had a lot more to go. He kept taking more and more thorns and thistles out of his pelt and Poultice moaned and complained but I could tell he was thankful.

"What about you," asked Logan as he kneeled down and ran his hands along my bloody pelt.

"I'm fine. It's not my blood," I replied as I snorted. "That grizzly didn't know what hit him!"

"I'm just glad you're okay," breathed Thruster as he pressed against me and licked my nose. I snorted and pushed him.

"You can fuss over me later. Keen needs those herbs," I pointed out as I looked at the herbs and Thruster nodded. He strode over to the herbs and grasped them tightly between his teeth. He then pranced toward a table with other chemicals and antibiotics.

He chewed the leaves into a pulp before he began mixing them with a few other things to turn it into a liquid. Once he finished he poured it into a cub. He grasped it with his wings and strode over. He leaped onto Keen's bed.

"Logan could I have some help," asked Thruster as he waved his tail madly.

Logan nodded and strode over to Thruster. "What do you need me to do?"

Thruster handed him the liquid. "I need you to pour this into Keen's IV."

Logan obeyed and once he had poured it Thruster increased the drip so that it would be more concentrated. He then leaned forward and licked Keen's face. "It should be all downhill from here, little one."

I wasn't surprised that he didn't answer but I was praying that he was alright. I turned back to look at Poultice who still didn't look happy at having the Professor pick prickles from his pelt. "Which hurts the most," asked the Professor as he tried to change the subject to give Poultice something to think about other than the pain.

"Probably the burrs," confessed Poultice as he licked a paw and drew it over his swollen eye. "They tug at my fur the most." He cringed as the Professor pulled another thorn from his flank. "Have you ever stepped on a thorn."

"When I was younger I used to get thorns in my hands all the time," the Professor explained as he took another thorn from Poultice's haunch and he jumped.

I chuckled a bit before I heard a small and barely audible sound. I turned my head and saw Keen with his eyes fluttering open. "Starlight."

I leaped onto his bed and saw Logan cluster around me. "I'm here Keen," I breathed as I leaned forward so he could make sure I was there.

Keen beamed a bit and looked up to Logan. "How long have I been asleep," he asked as he picked up his head a bit. However he was still weak and it fell back down.

"What is the last thing you remember," asked Logan as he stretched out a hand to stroke Keen between the ears.

"Not feeling well," he replied as he pressed a paw against his underbelly. He then stretched out a paw and I stretched out my own to grasp his. "Now I feel much better. Thank you!"

"I'm so glad little one," I murmured as I licked his cheek. "However it wasn't me or Logan."

"Then who was it," asked Keen as he looked around a bit in confusion.

I chuckled and lifted my head so that he could see the Professor picking out thorns from Poultice's pelt. "It was actually mostly Poultice. He found the herbs that saved your life."

"Can I see him," begged Keen as he reached out a paw as if he wanted to touch Poultice's pelt and I understood that.

"Yes but you have to be careful. He had quite an ugly couple of days and he isn't feeling well," I told him gently as I leaped down and leaped onto Poultice's den. "Hey do you think that you could take a break from thorn tugging to talk to Keen?"

"He's awake," gasped Poultice. He nearly darted forward and cringed as thorns rippled through his body.

"Yes but be careful," I scolded as I sunk my teeth into his scruff so he didn't need to walk. "I don't want you to get anymore injured."

"I won't Starlight," argued Poultice as he raised a paw and collided it with my nose. I snorted in amusement before I saw the Professor wheel toward Keen's bed to get a better look at the newly revived pup.

"Professor," rasped Keen as his eyes gleamed in excitement at seeing those who he cared about and those who cared about him.

"It's good to see you awake Keen," the Professor turned him as he grinned.

Keen yipped before I dropped Poultice at the foot of the bed and he padded up to his friend. He was a little shocked at seeing Keen so thin and frail but he didn't let that slow him down from touching his nose to Keen's ear. "I missed you so much," he gasped as tears streamed down his face. "What would I have done if I would have lost you?"

Keen rolled his eyes. "You would have figured out something. Besides you have Mirage," he pointed out.

Poultice bit his lip. "Mirage is dead Keen. He died in an attack," he confessed and I was thankful he didn't blame it on me. I let out a breath of relief.

"I'm so sorry," gasped Keen before he stretched out a paw and pressed it against Poultice's paw. "I can't tell you how thankful I am that you saved my life."

"It was nothing," assured Poultice as he tried to hide his swollen eye from Keen. "We just had to fight a grizzly and a strange man who hates mutants but don't worry."

Keen smiled before he leaned forward and whispered something in Poultice's ear that made my heart leap for joy. "Thank you so much Poultice. I'd be lost without you."