9

A/n: I'm considering picking one book to focus on and update most frequently while still working on the others. Which one would you like to see updated most often with a set weekly update schedule? Tick (original story), Dear Evan Hansen Oneshots, or this one?

WARNING: underage drinking, overuse of the word door

Michael☆

I sat in my car for six minutes, feeling hurt.  If I went in there, I couldn't possibly face Jeremy.  He hadn't invited me.  He hadn't invited me.  The game in my hands grew heavier and heavier.  What happened?

Just this morning he was dealing with me in all my embarrassingly high glory.

Squip.

My eyes hardened.  This wasn't Jeremy's fault.  Jeremy wouldn't do this to me.  Come on, Michael. Stop being such a coward.

I yanked my keys out of the ignition and shoved open the car door.  I slammed the door shut with new resolve.  I was going to give Jeremy my gift.  I marched up the front lawn proudly.  If I had some sunglasses or something it would've been epic, but alas, there were no sunglasses to be found.

I raised my finger to the doorbell and brushed it gently, my courage seeming to have immediately dissipated.  Maybe I shouldn't do this.  I forced my finger to push the doorbell and hurried to assume a nonchalant pose.  Oh yeah, no big deal I stood in line for hours to get you the latest edition of your favorite game ever.

Then it occurred to me: what if Jer doesn't open the door? What if there's some sort of bodyguard detail or an anti-Michael blockade?  Both of those seem plausible when dealing with Squip.

Within seconds, my feet were moving on their own, traveling a well known route.  I didnt care where they were taking me as long as it was away from that front door. 

The familiar sight of Jeremy's basement window greeted me.  I gave it a gentle push, and sure enough, it was unlatched.  I glanced around quickly.  This looked undeniably suspicious, but I was sure anybody on the premises was too drunk, high, or lazy to do anything about it.  I slipped inside clumsily.  

The lights were off.  I felt guilty for sneaking in like this, but it wasn't like I was stalking him.  I hurried up the stairs, scared of the shadows in the basement that I'd practically grown up in. 

You never know when your life is secretly a horror movie.  

The small sliver of light that peeked out from under the door greeted me and I rushed forward to open the door.  I fiddled with the door knob.  Locked.  I checked again.  Still locked.  I considered knocking for a moment, but decided against it.  The last thing I needed was to draw attention to myself.  I dashed back to the window, nearly falling on my face, and struggled out of the basement.  My legs moved quickly as I raced back to the front lawn.

And so I found myself at that door, nervously sweating and panting with game in hand.

The door bell was pressed with considerably less hesitation this time.

The door opened to reveal...Rich?

He reeked of alcohol and he gave me a look of complete stupid.  In that moment, I was 100% sure he had no idea who I was.  I wasn't even sure he knew he who was.

Wanting to be polite, I explained, "I have a gift for my friend, Jeremy?"

"Who the hell is that?" He slurred.

"This is his house." I looked him up and down with concern.  The dude must have been wasted the next morning.

"If you'd just let me inside..." Before I could finish, Rich was already stumbling away and mumbling something about chicken nuggets.

I slipped through the door and scanned the living room.  I can do this.  It's just like Apocalypse of the Damned.  But more lame.  And way more gay.

I shoved past a few teenagers, making  my way to the kitchen.  The Heere house looked so strange filled with strangers.  I was so used to it being just Jeremy and I, and sometimes Jer's  pant-less dad.

The door to the kitchen was flung open in my face, leaving me directly in front of Squip.  I flashed him a nervous smile.

"What are you doing here?" His words were nearly drowned out by the noise of the party.

"I'm here to get drunk and regret my life choices," I blurted and took the stairs two at a time, desperate to get away from him.  I wouldn't put it past the guy to shoot me in the middle of the party. 

Upstairs I side stepped couples displaying their affection.  Squip's voice still lingered on my mind.  I didn't like him.  I could never tell if he was angry at me in certain instances, or he just always sounded like he wanted to kill me.

Find the bad guy? Check.

Push him aside?  Run and hide would work for now.

I still had a game to deliver and a heart to win if possible.

Out of nowhere, a voice interrupted my thoughts.

Christine.

Jeremy had to be with her.  Wasn't that the whole purpose of anything the Squip persuaded him to do?

I followed the sound of her cheery tone and there she was, standing in the hallway.

I was about to call out to her and Jeremy, but then I noticed something.  Christine wasn't chatting amiably with Jeremy.  Behind her stood a taller, more popular figure.  Jake. I watched for a few seconds as the pair smiled and talked, imaging Jeremy's despair if he had my view of Christine and Jake.  It wasn't too difficult to imagine, considering that it was the misery that I experienced daily.

Jake was talking to the girl of Jeremy's dreams, so that meant Jeremy was-

I continued down to the end of the hallway.

In the bathroom.

My knuckled rapped the door sharply, but my voice was gentle.

"Jeremy?"

A sniffle was audible.  "No.  It's not Jeremy."

"Who is it?" I played along.

"Jake," he answered.

"That's funny," I replied.  "I saw Jake just down the hallway talking to..."  I cut myself off immediately.

"I know," Jeremy said.  "Michael?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm a traitor," he said, a hint of tears lingering on his words.

I was silent.

"I ditched you and video games for a party.  Christine won't even talk to me."

He paused.

"Can you ever forgive me?"

I gave his plead some thought.  "No."

"Okay," Jeremy sounded heartbroken.

"Not unless you play this game I bought."

A gasp of relief sounded from inside the bathroom.  "What game is it?" Jeremy tried to act casual and cracked open the door.  I couldn't help but grin.

"Nothing you would like.  It's something pretty lame," I bluffed.

The door was completely open now and I handed the game to him.  His blue eyes widened.  "B-but, Michael! Is this?"

"Apocalypse of the Damned newest edition?  You're damn right it is!" I exclaimed triumphantly.

"I can't believe I forgot!" Jeremy frowned.  "They're probably all sold out by now.

"It's yours."

Jeremy's jaw dropped.  "Can we?"

"If we can get to the basement undetected by Squip."