~A Wish To Give~

Young Jay Walker lazily opened his eyes at the sound of his alarm. He blinked at the handmade, patchwork clock, and yawned. He sat up, and pushed the button to turn it off. He rubbed his blue eyes with the heels of his hands, and yawned once more. There was a quiet knock on his door, and his mother, Edna, popped her head in.

"Good morning, Jay." She smiled warmly. Jay smiled tiredly at his mother, brushing his bangs from his eyes.

"Morning, momma." He said.

"Do you know what day it is?" She asked, coming into his room and sitting on the end of his bed. He turned to the hand-drawn calendar of his, and searched for the uncrossed off day.

"Erm.. Tuesday?" He offered. His mother chuckled.

"Yes, but more than that." She pushed. Jay shrugged. "It's Christmas Eve, silly! Tomorrow is Christmas! Aren't you excited?" At the mention of Christmas, Jay gasped in excitement. Like any kid, Christmas was his favorite day of the year. The music, the food, the lights... The gifts!

"Christmas!" He cried out, standing up on his bed, and beginning to bounce. "I can't wait for Christmas!" Edna laughed, as her son began to do a happy dance, his messy ginger hair whipping around.

"Jay, calm down, sweetie!" She laughed. "You don't want to hurt yourself. Christmas in a cast wouldn't be fun." With that, Jay flopped down on his bed, giggling, his bed creaking from the action. "Now, did you decide what you want for Christmas?" Edna asked. Jay nodded excitedly, sitting up.

"I want the brand-new Junior Inventors kit! I saw it in a catalog from Ninjago city! It has over 100 pieces!" He cried out, throwing his arms out wide to show the size.

"Alright, sweetie. Your Pa and I will see what we can do for you." She smiled, ruffling Jay's hair. "Now, get dressed. You have chores to do." Jay nodded, and once his mother left, he turned on his radio. He adjusted the antenna to pick up a local radio station playing Christmas music, and got dressed, humming along with the radio. Oh, I can't wait for Christmas!!

***

   After Jay had completed his chores, he ran into the kitchen of his parent's RV, the place in which he called home. He sat down in the booth, taking off his mittens.

"Finished so soon, Jay?" Edna asked, placing a plate of scrambled eggs and buttered toast in front of Jay. He nodded, picking up his fork, and scooping up a fork full of light, fluffy eggs. "Jayson Thomas Walker, what am I going to say?" His mother scolded, resting her hands on her hips. Jay lowered his fork, and closed his eyes.

"Thank you for this food, Amen." He quickly prayed. He opened his eyes once more, and began eating his eggs.

"You need to start remembering to say grace before eating, mister. You're going to be seven in the spring.. You're not so little anymore." Edna chided, returning to the eggs cooking on the stove.

"Yes, momma." Jay nodded, taking a sip of his orange juice. His mother looked out the RV window, and sighed.

"You know what, Jay? I wish that just one year, we could have a white Christmas... Just for the heck of it!" Edna sighed. "But, living in the Sea of Sand won't necessarily let on enjoy such a pleasure." She shrugged, and placed the cooked eggs she had made on a plate. Jay looked down at his eggs, and pushed them around sadly. He didn't like when his mom was sad. Living out here wasn't so bad...was it? His mother sighed, and gave her son a quick hug. "Oh, Jay, don't be upset. I was just thinking outloud." She said, rubbing his shoulder.

"Yeah, I know." He nodded, when an idea arose in his head. I'll give momma a white Christmas!! He thought. She and Pa are always getting me things for Christmas. I should get them something! Jay took the remains of his eggs, and dumped them in the dog bowl. His pug, Scrap, came running in, stumbling along on his three-legs. He yipped happily, and dove into the food gratefully.