~A Wish To Last~

"Come on, Abbe!" Olivia Taylor cried from the abandoned ice skating rink, beckoning for her sister to join her. Abbe sat cross-legged on the bench near the rink, the snow gently falling from the night sky, sticking to her blond hair. The Christmas Eve flurry was just enough to make everything pretty, and not need to shovel. It danced in front of the street lights, and cascaded down to the streets.

Liv skated around the edge of the rink, the biggest smile pasted across her face. She had always wanted to go to the city, and her older sister, Abbe, had finally convinced their parents to let them go. Abbe had just turned sixteen, after all.

She glided across the ice with grace and style, her ginger hair whipping in her face with the wind. She giggled, as she continued to skate, performing trick after trick.

  "Why won't you come join me?" She asked breathlessly, skating up to the edge of the rink. "You know how to skate."

Abbe forced a smile. "I'm just tired from the walk here, Liv. Maybe later."

Liv's face fell. "You said that earlier."

  "I know...just, go back to skating." Abbe said, ushering Liv along. With a frown, Liv returned to skating, but with less enthusiasm than before. Abbe wasn't really tired--she felt splendid. But for the past few days, since she turned sixteen, something wasn't right. She could sense it. Something was going to change in her humble, provincial life she had grown up knowing. She didn't want something to change. She wanted to spend Christmas eve in the city with her sister, skating at the rink, drinking cocoa, going to mass...Above all, Abbe could sense that this change would take her away from her sister. And it pained Abbe to watch her be so happy, when she knew she'd be so sad...

Liv stepped off the ice, staring down at the grass, avoiding Abbe's eyes. She walked over to the bench next to the one her sister sat on, and got to unlacing her skates.

 "Already done?" Abbe asked.

 "I just want to go home.." Liv muttered, throwing one skate to the side, bouncing to the side.

 "But, we have to go get food still, and go to mass," Abbe protested. "We've been looking forward to this for ages!"

 "Well, clearly this Christmas outing means more to me, than to you, so why bother?" Liv snapped, eyes burning with rage.

 "Liv--"

 "Don't bother." She replied, shaking her head. "I'm going to use the bathroom, and we can go.." She got up from her bench, and walked towards the small cement building. Abbe watched her go inside, the door closing unceremoniously behind her.

  "Well, you goofed." A voice chuckled, startling Abbe. She leapt from the bench, spinning to face the voice, getting into a pathetic attempt at a fighting stance. There was a boy, not much older than Abbe, wearing a blue jacket. He wore a black and green knit scarf and a matching hat, holding back a head of red hair. Just like Liv..

 "Eavesdropping is impolite." Abbe spat, trying to hide her blush. She felt so stupid--getting scared by some guy? Foolish. She flopped back down on the bench, leaning forward on her elbows. "Don't you have something better to do?"

 "Eh, night off...decided to explore the town." He shrugged. He gestured to the seat next to Abbe, and she slide over to give him some room to sit down. He took a seat, and sighed. "So, what did you do?"

 "Why should I tell you?" Abbe asked. He laughed, his eyes lighting up.

 "You've got a bite, don't you? Kinda snarky...bet you're also sarcastic?"