σnє: The Blind Side

Omniscient
April 10, 1999
Houston, Texas
☾6:13AM

Onika sat at the table scratching at the glass of the table as she completely ignored the food in front of her

"Onika eat your food, I'm not going to tell ya ass again." Her mom said as she sat at the table feeling around just because.

"It stinks. Just because I can't see doesn't mean I can't smell, I trust my nose." She scuffed with a light chuckle. She could hear her mother come near as the sound of her bare feet pattered lightly against the hardwood floor. Onika flinched once she felt her mother's hot breath hitting the back of her bare neck. She had been standing over Nicki.

"Ya don't even know what tis is so how ya gonna trip on da smell." Her mothers accent blared throughout the house. Onika managed to keep stalling and she could tell her mother began to get frustrated.

"Fine, don' eat, see if I care. Ya can't say I ain't try to feed ya ass." Her mother said. Her voice trailed off And onika knew it meant she left the room. She looked around at nothing in particular, of course seeing nothing but darkness.

Although she couldn't see, she had a great keen sense of smell and could hear very well, so this was no surprise.

"Robyn I know you're in here." Onikq smiled. Robyn sucked her teeth and pulled a chair out from the table.

"Damn spidey senses." Robyn huffed. Onika felt the vibration of Robyn trying to inch her plate towards her.

"Robyn, seriously." She laughed and Robyn joined. Onika scooted her chair up to the table more feeling around for her plate.

"Robyn stop playin." She pouted. Robyn laughed sliding her plate to her abd she felt it bump her hand. Onika picked up a piece of food that felt soft in her hands and sniffed it. The smell itself made her gag and her nostrils flared.

"What is this?" She asked picking around at it trying to decipher the texture of the food. It felt rubbery and in the inside of it had felt a bit warm and moist.

"I donno. But if you don't want it I'll eat it for ya." Robyn smirked. Onika mugged her, although was unsure if she had been looking at Robyn .

"Y'all get ready. Da bus is outside and I don't want ya being late to school, again." Nicki's moms voice rang throughout the kitchen. Nicki reached around the back of her chair for her backpack and grabbed her shades off the table.

She rode the same bus as Robyn so she helped her get around. They'd usually put students like onika on the special Ed bus but her mother convinced them that she'd be just fine on her own. Onika  was very independent child and didn't let her condition stop her from doing anything. She's a cheerleader as well. People wondered how Onikq had been able to learn the cheers and movements without running into other cheerleaders on her squad and she simply told them all  she needed was to hear it, and she got it. She can hear and feel when she's too close to someone and she would scoot the other way. It was easy. Of course it took her years to master it but it was because she wanted it that she succeeded. Her doctors told her that she had limits, limits that would stop her from wanting something. She didn't listen of course. Her mother once told her if she wanted something bad enough she could have it if she had just  put her mind to it and ever since then she's taken her mother's advice and used in her everyday life.