Chapter Four

The rodeo had already started and I hadn't even made it to my work station. I was still wearing Stetson's hat as I hurried down Midway and into the grandstand complex. I rushed through the mobs of people until I finally made it outside to my station. Drew was sitting on the ice chest, head in his hands, watching the rodeo.

"Hey, sorry I'm late." I snagged my apron from a hook and put it on. "I was uh-" before I could finish my sentence, Jenny's voice came from around the corner.

"Hanging out with Stetson? Yea, we know. I saw you two walking around together." I looked around the corner. Jenny was sitting in a chair, legs crossed, filing her nails. She glared at me. "You made me miss lunch with Steve!" She looked back down and continued filing her nails.

"Don't listen to her." Drew said as I sat down on the chest with him. "She's an idiot."

Today was another long day of work; having to deal with Jenny, mostly. She just couldn't stop insulting me. The office work wasn't so bad and Bonnie took my place at the chucks so I could go out with Stetson. I got into the office bathroom and fixed my makeup and hair one last time. After coming back out and Stetson still not there, I went to the wall of files and began to organize them.

"Well hello." Stetson came up behind me and wrapped me in his arms. His skin felt so warm against me, even though he was actually touching my shirt. It still sent tingles through my body. He kissed the top of my head then slowly swayed back and forth. I could hear the slight thump every time his foot hit the floorboards. "How was work?" I had put away the last file in my hand and leaned back into his shoulder.

"It was ok. Bonnie is taking my place at the chucks tonight."

"Alright then. I wanna take you somewhere special." He let go of me. I headed to the desk and grabbed my purse. Stetson grabbed his hat from where I left it and put it on. He took my hand and we walked out into the evening warmth.

"You did great today. How do you think you did?" I looked up at him; into his eyes. They looked like a calm, blue ocean.

"Well, thanks. I think that bull could've given a bit more though. I probably should've gotten a better spur with him too." I tried to look interested but the truth was I had no idea what he was really talking about.

We piled into his rental truck, which was parked outside of the office, and turned out onto the main road. The front seat of his truck was basically like a bench. Three people could sit in the front. Then in the back were two seats.

"So, what are we gonna do?" I asked enthusiastically.

"Well, I want to take you somewhere fancy." He smiled, but kept his eyes on the road. We drove up through the cemetery and kept going until we turned into Chinook Mall.

"Uhm, I don't like to shop." I said as he tried to find a parking spot.

"Yea, I don't blame ya. We're going to a steakhouse. I thought you'd like it." He finally found a parking spot. Stetson stopped the car but before we got out, he grabbed my arm. "What happened at work today?" He looked at me with his sincere, blue eyes. I looked down into my lap.

"Nothing... I sighed, "Its ok."

"Alright then." He unlocked the truck doors and got out. He came around to my side, opened my door, and took my hand and helped me out. He had a firm grip on me, as if he knew that I needed him right at that moment. It started to rain just as we entered the waiting area of the restaurant. The clicks of his boots on the pavement were muffled by the raindrops.

Before we could even sit down, a tall, blond haired gal in a white blouse and black skirt asked if we had a reservation. Did Stetson get a reservation? I thought as she confronted him.