Chapter Twelve

"Now welcome everyone to Wild Card Saturday! Today is the day that any rodeo contestants from both pools that didn't make it into Showdown Sunday, get to compete for a spot!" The stands were jam packed with people. "Now only two contestants from each event will continue on to Showdown Sunday."

The music began to play and all the cowboys and cowgirls filed out and stood in front of the chutes. Fireworks popped and a big C and S burned up in flames on the dirt. As the anthem played, three riders cantered around on their horses while holding flags; the Canadian, United States, and Calgary Stampede flags.

"Now before we start, we want to send a little shout out to one of our rookies from pool A this year. Stetson McCord was in a bull riding accident three nights ago. We send him our best wishes." Everyone clapped as a picture of Stetson flashed up onto the big screen. I smiled and clapped as I look up at him on the screen. He was wearing a toothy grin and his eyes sparkled.

When I got home, I laid out some papers on the coffee table and began to work on some rodeo paperwork. I was verifying all the contestants for Showdown Sunday. When Stetson's name popped up, I circled it. I knew he wouldn't ride, but I had verified it anyways. I would eventually just erase it later. All the contestants' banking info was finally sent in so I could start working on other paperwork.