XIV

Piper pov

I didn't relax until the glow of Quebec City faded behind us.

"You were amazing," Jason told me.

The compliment should've made my day. But all I could think about was the trouble ahead. Evil things are string, Zethes had warned us. I knew that firsthand. The closer we got to the solstice, the less time I had to make my decision.

I told Jason in French: "If you knew the truth about me, you wouldn't think I was so amazing."

"What'd you say?" He asked.

"I said I only talked to Boreas. It wasn't so amazing."

I didn't turn to look, but I imagined him smiling.

"Hey," he said, "you saved me from joining Khione's sub-zero hero collection. I owe you one."

That was definitely the easy part, I thought. There was no way I would've let that ice witch keep Jason. What bothered me more was Boreas had changed form, and why he'd let us go. It had something to do with with Jason and Tori's past, those tattoos on their arms. Boreas assumed they were some sort of Roman, and Romans didn't mix with Greeks. I kept waiting for Jason to offer an explanation, but he clearly didn't want to talk about it.

Until now, I had been able to dismiss Jason's feeling that he didn't belong at Camp Half-Blood. Obviously he was a demigod. Of course he belonged. But now... what if he was something else? What if he was an enemy? I couldn't stand that idea any more than I could stand Khione.

Leo passed us some sandwiches from his pack.

"Not hungry." Said Tori, who had been silent and looking at the stars, then I noticed that her eyes looked more navy blue and purple than sea green.

Jason looked at her and that turned into a silent conversation

Jason: I know you're mad at him at what he did but you can't ignore him forever.

Tori: Challenge accepted

Jason: Tori, eat the sandwich

Tori was going to protest, but her hunger got to her and she took a sandwich.

"I still can't believe Khione," Leo said. Tori's eyes when almost completely blue, like her eye color reflected her feelings and emotions. "She looked so nice."

"Trust me, man," Jason said. "Snow may be pretty, but up close its cold and nasty. We'll find you a better prom date."

I smiled, but Leo didn't look pleased. He hasn't said much about his time in the palace, or why the Boreads had singled him out for smelling like fire. I got the feeling he was hiding something. Whatever it was, his mood seemed to be affecting Festus, who grumbled and steamed as he tried to keep himself warm in the cold Canadian air. Happy the Dragon was not so happy.

They ate their sandwiches as they flew. I had no idea how Leo had stocked up on supplies, but he'd even remembered to bring veggie rations for her. The cheese and avocado sandwich was awesome.

Nobody talked. Whatever we might find in Chicago, we all knew Boreas had only let them go because he figured they were already on a suicide mission.

The moon rose and stars turned overhead. My eyes started to feel heavy. The encounter with Boreas and his children had scared me more than I wanted to admit. Now that I had a full stomach, my adrenaline was faded.