XXXI

Tori's pov

My jaw dropped. The central section of Aeolus's fortress was a big as a cathedral, wth a soaring domed roof covered in silver. Television equipment Flores randomly through the air—cameras, spotlights, set pieces, potted plants. And there was no floor. Leo almost fell into the chasm before Jason pulled him back.

"Holy—!" Leo gulped. "Hey, Mellie. A little warning next time!"

An enormous circular pit plunged into the heat of the mountain. It was probably half a mile deep, honeycombed with caves. Some of the tunnels probably led straight outside. I remembered seeing winds last out of them when we'd been on Pikes Peak. Other caves were sealed with glistening material like glass or wax. The whole cavern busted with harpies, and paper airplanes, aurai, but for someone who couldn't fly, it would be a very long, very fatal fall.

"Oh, my," Mellie gasped. "I'm so sorry." She clipped a walkie-talkie from somewhere inside her robes and spoke into it. "Hello, set? Is that Nuggets? Hi, Nuggets. Could we get a floor in the main studio, please? Yes, a solid one. Thanks."

A few seconds later, an army of harpies rose from the pit—three dozen or so demon chicken ladies, all carrying squares of various building material. They went to work hammering and gluing—and using large quantities of duct tape, which didn't reassure me. In no time there was a makeshift floor snaking out over the chasm. It was made of plywood, marble blocks, carpet squares, wedges of grass sod—just about anything.

"That can't be safe," I said.

"Oh, it is!" Mellie assured me. "The harpies are very good."

Easy for her to say. She just drifted across without touching the floor. Then Jason stepped out first. Amazingly, the floor held.

I stepped out next, and turned to Jason. "Will you catch me if I fall?"

"No, I'm going to let you fall, Jacks." He said sarcastically. "Of course I'll catch you."

Piper gripped his hand followed. "If I fall, you're catching me."

"Uh, sure." Jason blushed.

Leo stepped out next. "You're catching me, too, Superman. But I ain't holding your hand."

Mellie led us toward the middle of the chamber, where a loose sphere of flat-panel video screens floated around a kind of control center. A man hovered inside, checking monitors and reading paper airplane messages.

The man paid us no attention as Mellie brought us forward. She pushed a forty-two-inch Sony out of our way and led us into the control area.

Leo whistled. "I got to get a room like this."

The floating screens showed all sorts of television programs. Some I recognized—news broadcasts, mostly but some programs looked a little strange: gladiator fighting, demigods battling monsters. Maybe they were movies, but they looked more like reality shows.

At the far end of the sphere was a silky blue backdrop like a cinema screen, with camera, with cameras and studio lights floating around it.

The man in the center was talking into an earpiece phone. He had a remote control in each hand and was pointing them at various screens, seemingly at random.

He wore a business suit that looked like the sky—blue mostly, but dappled with clouds that looked like he was in his sixties, with a shock of white hair, but he had a ton of stage makeup on, and that smooth plastic-surgery look to his face, so he appeared not really young, not really old, just wrong—like a Ken doll someone had halfway melted in a microwave. His eyes darted back and forth from screen to screen, like he was trying to absorb everything at once. He muttered things in his phone, and his mouth kept twitching. He was either amused, or crazy, or both.