XXXV

Tori's pov

When my quiver of arrows were thrown out of my reach and Jason's lance broke, we knew we were dead. I transformed my bow into my sword, though it will probably do nothing. Swords worked better in up close combat, not long range. But still, it was better than being unarmed. 

The battle had started well enough. My instincts kicked in, and my gut told me I'd dueled opponents almost this big before, I was also pretty sure I had Jason at my side during those battles. Size and strength equaled slowness, so we just had to be quicker—pace ourselves, wear out our opponent, and avoid getting smashed or flame-broiled.

I rolled away from the giant's first spear thrust and jabbed Enceladus in the ankle. Jason's javelin managed to pierce the thick dragon hide, and golden ichor—the blood of immortals—trickled down the giant's clawed foot.

Enceladus bellowed in pain and blasted me with fire. Jason scrambled away, rolling behind the giant, and I stabbed him behind his knee.

It went on like that for seconds, minutes—it was hard to judge. I heard combat across the clearing—construction equipment grinding, fire roaring, monsters shouting, and rocks smashing into metal. I heard Leo and Piper yelling defiantly, which meant they were still alive. I tried not to think about it. I couldn't afford to get distracted.

Enceladus' spear missed me by a millimeter. We kept dodging, but the ground stick to our feet. Gaea was getting stronger, and the giant was getting faster. Enceladus might be slow, but he wasn't dumb. He began anticipating Jason and I's moves, and our attacks were only annoying him, making him more enraged.

"I'm not some minor monster," Enceladus bellowed. "I am a giant, born to destroy gods! Your gold toothpick and silver sewing pins can't kill me, children."

Jason and I didn't waste energy replying. We were already tired. The ground clung to my feet, making me feel like I weighed an extra hundred pounds. The air was full of smoke that burned my lungs, but the burn felt familiar. Fires roared around me, stoked by the winds, and the temperature was approaching the heat of an oven.

I raised my sword to block the giant's next strike—a big mistake. Don't fight force with force, a voice chided me—the wolf Lupa, who'd told me that long ago. I managed to deflect the spear, but it grazed my shoulder, and my arm went numb.

I backed up, almost tripping over a burning log. I had to delay—to keep the giant's attention fixed on Jason and I while our friends dealt with the Earthborn and rescued Piper's dad. We could fail, it wasn't an option.

We retreated, trying to lure the giant to the edge of the clearing. Enceladus could sense our weariness. The giant smiled, baring his fangs.

"The mighty Jason Grace and Victoria Jackson," he taunted. "Yes, we know about you you two, son of Jupiter and daughter of Neptune. The two who led the assault on Mount Othrys. The son of Jupiter who single-handedly slew the Titan Krios. And you, daughter of Neptune, you toppled the black throne, but you also let your squad, who you lead into battle, die.

My mind reeled. I didn't know these names, yet they made my skin tingle, as if my body remembered the pain and shame my mind didn't. I looked to Jason, by the look on his face, he had the same feelings.

"What are you talking about?" he asked. We realized his mistake when Enceladus breathed fire.

Distracted, Jason and I moved to slowly. The blast missed us, but heat blistered our backs. We slammed into the ground, our clothes smoldering. My glasses were covered in ash and I was choking as I tried to breathe.

We scrambled back as the giant's spear cleaved the ground between our feet.

Jason and I managed to stand.

If only I could summon a huge wave of water or a mini earthquake, my father is the earth shaker and god of the water. But I didn't even know if water or seismic waves would harm the giant.

Death in battle is honorable, said Lupa's voice.

That's real comforting, I though.

We looked at each other, Grace and I knew we had fought together before. We had a plan.

I took a deep breath and charged.

Enceladus let me approach, grinning with anticipation.

At the last second, I faked a strike and Jason and I rolled between the giant's legs. We came up quickly, Jason thrusted with all his might, ready to stab the giant in the small of his back, but Enceladus anticipated the trick. He stepped aside with too much speed and agility for a giant, as if the earth was helping him move. 

He swept his spear sideways, met Jason's javelin—and with a snap like a shotgun blast, the golden weapon shattered.

The explosion was hotter than the giant's breath, blinding me with golden light. The force knocked me off my feet, knocked my sword out of my hand, and squeezed the breath out of me.

When I regained my focus, I was sitting at the rim of a crater next to Grace. Enceladus stood at the other side, staggering and confused. The javelin's destruction had realsed so much energy, it had blasted a perfect cone-shaped pit thirty feet deep, fusing the dirt and rock into a slick glassy substance. I wasn't sure how I survived, but my clothes were steaming. I was out of energy. I had no weapon. And Enceladus was still very much alive.

I tried to get up, but my legs were like lead. Enceladus blinked at the destruction, then laughed. "Impressive! Unfortunately, that was your last trick, demigods."

Enceladus leaped the crater in a single bound, planting his feet on either side of Jason and I. The giant raised his spear, its tip hovering over Grace's chest.

Then I stood up, it hurt like hell, but I did. I was Victoria flipping Jackson. I was not going to let this giant kill my best friend. No sir, no him, I guarantee it. "I will not let you kill my best friend." I said strongly.

Enceladus kicked me to the side, literally kicked me to the sides. Like, with his actual foot. Unfortunately for him, the side he kicked me to had my other friends on it.

But I felt myself slipping in and out of consciousness. But I heard one thing for certain, "And now," who I was 99.9% sure it was Mr. Enchiladas said, "my first sacrifice to Gaea!"