7. Like I'm Brand New

Author's note: This chapter is just a bunch of tooth-rotting fluff and I apologise for nothing.

ALSO, to those reading this as a completed book, consider this a mandatory rest stop. Go get yourself some water, go to sleep, and come back in the morning. 

For as long as they could remember, Taylor and Abigail had spent their birthdays as they did most other things; and that was together.

So it wasn't a surprise when Abigail called her only minutes after she had woken up from her newest dream.

"Hey Abby," she greeted.

"Hey Taylor. Happy birthday." The pair were uncharacteristically silent for a while, Taylor debating whether to tell Abigail the news.

"So, uh..." she began. Both girls took a deep breath.

"She broke up with me," Taylor blurted.

"He cheated on me," Abigail said at the same time.

A beat of stunned silence followed. Then...

"He did WHAT?" Taylor yelled.

"She fucking WHAT?" Abigail screamed.

"She broke up with me. Last night. Over the phone."

"The BITCH. Right before your birthday? Are you alright?"

"Forget her! He cheated on you?"

"With like two other girls! I found out yesterday."

"That asshole!" Taylor spat.

"Taylor?" Andrea called, sticking her head into the room. "What's all the yelling for?"

"Abigail's boyfriend cheated on her, Dianna broke up with me and we're both really sad and angry. Also I had another dream last night and I'm convinced the universe is messing with me, so life is not that great right now." Taylor rambled.

Andrea raised her eyebrows at her teary-eyed, sleep-tousled daughter.

"Is that Abigail on the phone?" she asked.

"Yeah."

"Tell her to come over immediately. I'll get the chocolate and tissues."

"Will there be birthday cake?" Abigail piped up from over the phone.

"Mom? Abby wants to know if there's birthday cake."

"Taylor listen, if Abigail thinks I haven't already baked a cake for you, then she clearly doesn't know me very well at all."

--------------------------------------------

Taylor's sixteenth birthday was spent with Abigail, ranting about their respective exes and stuffing their faces with whatever snacks Andrea could find. Within minutes, her room was a war zone of wrappers, paper plates, crumbs and tissues.

But looking back, Taylor realised it was one of the best birthdays she'd ever had.

"You know she wouldn't let me eat any cake?" Taylor said, shoving a spoonful of birthday cake in her mouth. "Said I wouldn't be beautiful anymore if I did."

"What?!" Abigail said, mouth dropping open.

"Yeah. And she didn't want me to spend time with you. She was convinced I'd cheat on her or something."

"Oh as if you'd cheat on anyone," Abigail said hotly. "You're better than that. And why the hell did she think you'd cheat with me? You're as gay as a unicorn in a pool full of Skittles. I'm straight as fuck."