11. All Too Well

Author's note: You've read the chapter title. Prepare accordingly. 

Needless to say, when Abigail was jolted awake at five in the morning by the buzz of her phone, she wasn't too pleased. She had been dreaming. A pretty strange one, really.

Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she groggily reached for the device, squinting at Taylor's name on the screen.

"Taylor? What the hell, it's so early!" she groaned as she answered.

"You were there!" Abigail flinched as she held the phone further away from her ear. "Abigail you were there! I'm sure it was you! You were with us!"

"Woah, Taylor slow down. What are you talking about?"

"Karlie!"

"Karlie? Did you have another dream?"

"Yes! You were there!"

"I was there? You've never dreamed about me before. What was it about?" she asked, humouring her friend.

Taylor's dreams had always been a source of wonder to Abigail when they were little. Now she didn't think too much of them. They were probably just a result of her friend's sheer level of gayness.

"We were at war. We were pilots," Taylor said.

Abigail felt her blood turn to ice.

"Pilots?" she repeated.

"Yeah! Karlie was a model who was visiting us. And I found a baby! Karlie and I adopted her. Her name was-"

"Claire." Abigail whispered, head spinning.

Silence met her from across the phone.

"Abigail? How do you know that?" Taylor's asked, sounding scared.

"Taylor, this is going to sound completely crazy, but in your dream did we have a group of friends? Other girls who were with us?"

"Y-yeah," Taylor stuttered. "There was Cara, Ruby and, and..."

"Martha," Abigail finished.

"Yes," Taylor sounded like she was close to tears. "Abigail how do you know that?!"

"I was dreaming when you woke me up," Abigail explained. "I was a pilot in the middle of a war. And you were there, flying next to me. But we were fighting other people and we crashed. By the time I found you, you'd found a baby. Her name was Claire."

Abigail swallowed hard before continuing, throat feeling tight.

"Taylor? Karlie's blonde, right? Freakishly tall, a few freckles, really bright smile?"

"Yes," Taylor sobbed. "Yes, that's her."

"Well, in my dream, you were holding hands with someone who looked like that. Claire was with you both. Was that in your dream?"

"Yeah." From the other end of the phone, Abigail heard the muffled crying of her best friend.

"Oh Taylor, it's alright. It's okay," she soothed.

"I'm scared Abby," Taylor wept. "I'm really scared."

"So am I," Abigail admitted. "But you're okay. I'm right here with you."

"What does this mean?" I've been dreaming of Karlie since I was five! Why are you having my dreams too?"

"I don't know. But this can't be a coincidence, Taylor. All your dreams, and now this? I just can't accept that this is pure chance anymore. There has to be some truth to this," Abigail said, mind whirring.