Hook, Line, and Sinker

And now some stuff that I haven't already posted elsewhere.

 "Honey, are you sure you're ready for this?"

"I--"

"Come on. You don't have a choice, do you?"

"Young man..." There was warning in his mom's voice as she glared at his friend, like a puffer fish slowly inflating.

"He-he's right, Mom." His fingers were scraping at his scales, picking the layers of cobalt plates apart. They were smooth and soft all together, but a single edge could draw blood. Not that he was trying to hurt himself or anything! He just didn't usually notice he was fidgeting. "I have to do it. Everyone expects me to."

"You don't have to do anything. You can take your time. There are plenty of other options." He flinched. His mom could say whatever she wanted. It didn't change the fact that he had to do this. Everyone would hate him if he didn't.

"Right, he can hang out in the reefs with the kids for all eternity. Play with coral, get stung by anemones, and eat kelp forever." His friend's eyes were narrowed behind the polished sea glass balanced on his nose. His maroon fins flicked with irritation in the dark water around them.

"I-I like kelp."

"Not the point, Kelp-head."

"Sweetie, don't let him pressure you. If you're not ready--"

"Mom, I-I have to." His mother sighed. Her hair floated out in a golden halo of mist.

"It's going to hurt." He felt his lips twitch up at that.

"What doesn't?"

***

 "I don't believe in mermaids. I do not believe in mermaids."

"Y-you keep saying that." I glared at him out of the corner of my eye.

"It still won't go away." I faced the wall. I couldn't look at him. It. I don't even know anymore. How had this all gone so wrong?

"C-Connor..."

"Mermaid."

"Please--"

"I'm high, right? That's it. There's no way Evan just grew a tail."

"Connor--"

"Or maybe I'm dreaming. Or maybe I'm dead!"

"Connor, look at me!" Something snapped in my chest, ice and fire all at once, forcing a flush to my cheeks. I whirled around, barely keeping my balance. My hands were screwed into fists, the jagged edges of my nails scratching at the skin of my palms. My hair fell into my face. I ignored it, even as it fluttered in my hot breath.

"Why? What are you, why are you here, and what did you do to him?" I tried to shout, but my voice wouldn't cooperate. I sounded lost, desperate, weak, pleading. I pounded my fist into my leg. Maybe pain could help me sound less heartbroken. I was not going to give this thing the satisfaction.

"I-it's just me, I promise! It's still just me."

"Last I checked, Evan Hansen was a human boy with human legs, not some kind of eldritch fish thing," I spat.

"I--"

"So who are you and what have you done with him?"

"Nothing! It's me! It's Evan. It's always been me." He was crying. My blood ran cold. If I looked at his face, it did just look like Evan... Same as ever... Adorable and shy and... he was a blubbering mess. His eyes were pouring boiling tears. His lips twitched and puckered. His nose was starting to drip and he was sniffling and shaking and... Oh, no.