Chapter One

I'm dreaming.

The first thing Fawncloud thought when she saw the familiar forest materialize in front of her very own eyes. She already knew she was dreaming.

SmokeClan, she thought, smiling in her sleep. Oh, how Fawncloud already missed her home-she remembered clearly how she had been attacked by two Tribe cats who had come from the other side of the mountain range, and then taken while unconscious to their home.

Fawncloud didn't want to be in the Tribe's little cave-not one bit. Why had they taken her where they had?

Fawncloud let herself return to her dream. She stood in the SmokeClan camp, a dip in the ground, sheltered by tall bramble walls. She was right in the center of it all-she could see every den clearly, and every cat inside and outside of them.

In her dream, Fawncloud padded out of camp. After padding a few mere fox-lengths, the sky had darkened significantly, and she seemed to be very far away from camp.

She knew what-who-came next.

The two Tribe cats.

One was a sleek, gray tom with a white belly, chest and muzzle, and the other one was a ginger she-cat with black ears.

They came out of nowhere, it seemed, and started attacking her viciously, enough to knock her out for long enough to drag her to their home and away from hers.

She shivered at the memory. The dream faded slowly as she blacked out, too tired to keep fighting any longer. She half-wished she had been killed-at least she'd be in StarClan instead of this place.

Her sleep was interrupted when she felt a paw prod her side gently in an even rhythm. She opened one eye and looked around, surprised by a second for her surroundings, which she barely acknowledged as she laid eyes on the smoky-black tom with copper eyes who nudged her repeatedly.

"Good morning, Flower," the tom greeted. "How was your night?"

Fawncloud was surprised and shocked. Her name was Fawncloud, not Flower, or was this tom just trying to be cute?

Fawncloud knew she had to answer. She had to do anything she could to get out of this place.

She could play along with this, or maybe just ignore him. Or maybe she'd ask about why he called her what he had.

ONE >> Blink away the sleep and simply reply, "Fine."

TWO >> Ignore the tom and try to fall back asleep.

THREE >> Hiss aggressively, asking the tom why he called her Flower.