Chapter 8

Last time, you chose One >> Stay awake and enjoy the feast, getting to know some more Tribe cats and building up trust.

Flower's stomach rumbled. She was pretty hungry, she might as well eat. It couldn't hurt to stay awake for just a little longer, right?

"I'll eat," Flower replied to her new friend Sunlight.

"Im glad to hear," Sunlight purred.

Together, the two approached the hawk as the Tribe cats took turns biting and eating its flesh.

"Wow, this hawk tastes really good!" Sunlight exclaimed as she took a bite of the hawk. "You did a great job, Flower."

The other cats murmured their agreement. Flower was thankful for Sunlight; already, she had helped her so much.

While eating, Flower looked up and her gaze locked with a now-familiar pair of eyes.

Wind.

He had obviously been staring at Flower from across the hawk. His green eyes betrayed nothing of what could've been going through his head.

Flower shifted her paws, slightly uncomfortable. Wind snatched his gaze away from her and back to the hawk as he took another bite. Flower took another bite as well, trying to shake the odd feeling that had suddenly overtaken her.

Soon, little of the hawk remained, and all of the Tribe cats who had participated in the feast felt full. Still, they lingered and chatted with their fellow Tribemates. Many came up to talk to Flower and congratulate her.

"That was delicious!"

"I'll be full for a moon!"

"Thank you, Flower."

Flower tried not to feel overwhelmed by all of the sudden attention she was getting. Just a day earlier she had been outcast from the Tribe despite being held hostage by them.

"You're a good hunter."

The tortoiseshell she-cat whipped her head around to meet the cat who had complimented her. It was Flame.

"Oh. Thank you!" Flower piped.

"You're welcome," Flame purred. "How did you even catch that thing? What happened there?"

Mouse-dung, Flower cursed inwardly. What story could I make up?

While Flower was trying to think quickly, Sunlight appeared at her side and spoke for her. "I got distracted, typical for me," she purred. "I didn't hear the bird swooping in for me, and Flower managed to kill it before it killed me." Now Sunlight's lake-blue eyes were staring gratefully into Flower's green eyes.

That's a lie and her and I both know it, Flower thought. But she didn't feel guilty. She straightened up and smiled.

"That's a very brave and noble thing to do," Wind's deep voice startled Flower. "One might even say loyal."

Flower felt her fur rise but forced it to lay flat as she turned to look at Wind, who was now grooming his paw.

"Thanks..." Flower awkwardly responded, trying to sound polite in the presence of the two cats she actually considered her friends.

Sunlight made her way between Flower and Wind. She looked directly at Wind, who's unmoving gaze stared right back at the pretty she-cat.

"Flower is tired now, Wind. I'm going to take her back to her den now." Sunlight's voice was straight-forward and unlike any other time Flower had heard it before.

Sunlight had dismissed Flower without her consent, but Sunlight knew Flower was indeed tired and probably realized she was creeped out a little by Wind. Flower was thankful for Sunlight saving her tail once again.

"Goodnight, Flower," Flame wished Flower before turning and padding off somewhere else.

Sunlight led Flower back to her nest. When they had reached it and were out of earshot of other cats, Sunlight spoke.

"Sorry about that, Flower." Sunlight sounded embarrassed and sorry. "I could tell you were uncomfortable there, and Wind's kind of... weird."

"No, thank you," Flower quickly assured Sunlight, feeling comforted knowing she thought the same about the gray-and-White tom. "I didn't know how to get out of that situation, and I am getting pretty tired. I don't know what I'd do without you sometimes, Sunlight."

Sunlight smiled and purred. "That makes me happy to hear that. Do you really mean it?"

Flower nodded.

Sunlight rose back to her paws and began to turn. "Can I tell you something?"

Flower blinked, somewhat surprised. "Sure."

Sunlight glanced around to make sure no cat was eavesdropping, and after making sure the coast was clear, turned back to Flower with wide eyes. She spoke in a hushed voice.

"I don't think you should be here. I don't agree with whatever reasoning Mistteller has for keeping you hostage here.

"And I'm going to do all I can to get you out of here."

<><><><><>

Excitement and anticipation kept Flower awake for longer than she would have liked, but she had finally managed to fall asleep and gotten a good while of sleep. When Sunlight prodded Flower awake in the dusk of morning, Flower felt well-rested and energized enough for whatever Sunlight had in mind.

"How are you feeling?" Sunlight asked as Flower yawned, stretched and rose to her paws.

"Good," Flower replied, shaking her pelt. "Did you really mean what you said last night? About getting me out of here?"

Sunlight nodded. "And if you don't believe me, that's fine. We just started being friends. I'll do everything I can to earn your trust."

But Flower did trust her. Maybe she only did because she was relieved to finally have some good news.

Flower changed the subject slightly. "So what are we going to be doing today, this early in the morning?"

"Well, I figured I'd leave that up to you. We could go hunt out back and talk if you want, or we could swim, just the two of us, before Mistteller is around to object," Sunlight suggested.

Flower thought about this for a moment. She knew they couldn't make it across the lake yet, as there were still guards and enough light for them to see Sunlight and Flower running through the forest. Besides, Flower wasn't yet strong enough to get across the entire lake yet.

But the two could better discuss escaping if they went to hunt eagles and other large birds.

What should Flower do?

One >> Practice swimming with Sunlight.

Two >> Hunt and discuss a plan with Sunlight.