42 || Can't We All Just Get Along?

I glanced behind me to make sure April was gone before darting into an alley and hurrying up to the roof. I could hear Mikey's exuberant voice echoing down from the rooftop as I climbed further and further up.

"You see that? I smoked that dude!" I couldn't help myself but laugh, though I quickly grew worried and apprehensive when I realized none of the other brothers were celebrating like Mikey.

They must be pissed. With every step up I took closer to the roof, I began to wonder if turning around would've been a better alternative than facing them. I hated angry Leo, I hated angry Raph and I hated when the brothers worried over me like parents over a clumsy toddler. But I couldn't just walk off and not let them know I was okay, otherwise, they'd show up at my apartment angrier than they would be now. So I kept climbing up. Besides, Mikey's still in a good mood.

When I peeked my head onto the roof, Leo and Raph were already glaring at me. I glared right back and climbed to my feet.

"Hey RaiyRaiy!" Mikey greeted, sauntering to my side with a goofy grin plastered on his face. "Did you see me take that guy out!?" His excitement was contagious and I was immediately infected.

"Hell yeah I did! It was sick!" I held out my fist for a fist bump he readily granted me. "You guys were all awesome!" I said, turning and grinning at the brothers in an attempt to alleviate some stress from the atmosphere. But even through the darkness, I could see Raphael grinding his jaw. I pulled the tantō out from my jacket pocket.

"Thanks for this, too bad I didn't get to use it though." Raph took the blade with a less than pleased expression on his face.

"Raiya," he said in a low tone wavering on the precipice of a rage-fuelled explosion, "please tell me you didn't go in there because of what we were talking about earlier." I blinked in surprise. I hadn't even thought of that. A joke flitted through my mind but now didn't seem like the time for one. Instead, I held my hands up to calm any possible hostilities.

"I didn't, I swear."

But he was still far from relaxed.

Leo spoke before he could. "Why would you go in there?" He demanded.

"Because I wasn't sure if it was the Footclan or not. I had to make sure I wasn't calling you guys over when it was just a big ass rat or something stupid," I retorted, crossing my arms. "You can't seriously be mad at me for this."

"I'm not mad at you," he muttered, eyes flicking momentarily over Raphael. Raph growled and spun toward him.

Not again! We just got over this!

"So, what Leo? You gonna pin this on me?" Donnie and Mikey sighed, averting their attention to something else—anything else. Leo stood defiantly in front of him, having to tilt his head up slightly to look his younger brother in the eye.

"Yeah, actually. I am."

I tried catching Donnie's attention but he was too focused on whatever it was he fiddled with in his hands. I sighed sharply and spoke before Raphael could.

"You guys are like children." Neither of them broke their death glare toward the other, so I was forced to step in between them. "Grow up," I snapped, placing a hand on their plastrons and trying to shove them apart. Begrudgingly they both took a step back, but didn't break their locked gazes. "Neither of you could have started that in the subway, so chill out. We're all fine. Nobody got hurt," I insisted, my gaze darting desperately between them. Thankfully, I didn't have to wait long for one of them to look away.

"I'll take you home, Raiy." Raphael looked down at me, his green eyes fiery and muscles taut with anger despite his calm voice. Leo's eyes burned into him but Raph didn't turn, he just sent me a silent please, let's just go. I nodded and quickly thanked the turtles for coming to save mine and everyone's asses, then followed Raph down the fire escape and into the sewers.

We walked in silence. I knew that Raph needed some quiet so he could calm himself and gather his thoughts, and I knew better than to address it before he was ready to, so we just walked. I pulled my earbuds out from beneath my jacket and pressed one into my ear.

"-just go.

And let your heart just go.

Don't let nobody tell you that you shouldn't be.

Just who you are.

You are, you are.

Don't let 'em tell you 'bout your make up.

And your blue jeans and your style of car.

Your car, your car.

And listen to me my friend.

When I say you're always in my heart.

My heart, my heart.

And though the days are dark sometimes.

You'll always be my shining star.

My star, my star..."

I glanced up at Raphael, noting the gradually lessening stress in his body with relief.

"He blames me because I wasn't there with you," he said quietly. I shut my eyes, feeling his guilt and worry press down on me as if it were my own.

"It wasn't your fault," I insisted softly, but he shook his head.

"Stop saying that. You were almost killed. Karai would've shot you if we hadn't gotten there when we did."

So that's her name.

"I know but she would've killed me given the chance yesterday or tomorrow or whenever, but I–" I stopped, remembering what she'd said to me. Raphael watched me with concern. "You're of no further use to us," I repeated, horror-struck.

"What?"

"Oh my god," I met his gaze with fearful eyes. "They're using me," I breathed, my constricting throat making my voice raspy.

"Who's using you?"

My heart pounded and my pulse roared in my ears. Kaneko Emmalyn. You are a disgrace to your family's name. I shivered despite my panicking state. I will enjoy killing you.

No. No no no no no. This...isn't happening. It can't be!

"Raiya?" Somehow, he was totally calm. "What happened?"

"That girl–Karai, she...she said that I'm of no further use to them, which is why she tried to kill me." My eyes flicked upward to his. "They're using me to find you guys. They know who I am, she knew my name." My eyes widened in realization, finally understanding the extent of this issue.

"Olivia," I breathed. "If they know who I am they must know about Liv. We have to get home!" I could feel the weight of hysteria creeping in, threatening to crush me.

Raphael took off down the tunnel without a moment of hesitation.

AN: OOOOOO WHAT ARE THEY GONNA FIND AT THE APARTMENT

Lol so the next couple chapters are gonna be hella cute aka the calm before the storm (again)

The song mentioned is called Let it Go by Michael Franti & Spearhead if anyone wants to look it up. I couldn't find a decent video to put up with this chapter.

Vote and comment!! 😁