Chapter 3; Forget the Past

~The Salvatore Sister~

Forget the past.

(Stefan's Pov)

There she was, my supposedly dead sister. Standing right in front of me and Damon like we had just seen each other recently, as if we hadn't seen her fall to her death in front of our eyes. You could tell she had changed a lot since the last time we had seen her. Although that was over a hundred years ago, and that it was a given with such a large time span, it still filled me with fear and longing. The only familiar thing about her was her appearance. It was comforting. Her soft, long brunette waves framed her heart-shaped face. Her eyes, identical to Damon's, although soothing to see again, glinted with mischief. Her smile, that was able to light up the whole room in the past was barely there. It was more of a smirk, one that only followed after cruel thoughts. Her innocent, friendly demeanour had vanished. I was surprised, even though I knew what being the creature of the night did to you. I was surprised because it was my sister.

She was definitely different. I could tell that her years of being a vampire had changed her, morphed her into something Damon and I had feared ever since she was young. A dangerous thought swarmed my mind, scolding me that this was our fault. If we hadn't had left her, then she'd be the same little sister. The Ashley we knew was long gone. The memories that I had desperately grasped onto for hundreds of years were only an illusion with what stood in front of me. This isn't her.

I glanced over at Damon to see him as shocked as I was. No one spoke for a few minutes, just lingering stares passed back and forth. Damon realizing that our sister was waiting impatiently for one of us to say something, decided to speak up. I knew it wasn't going to be good with the dangerous look across his face.

''I thought you were dead. We thought you were dead. The misery and guilt we both went through because we saw our little sister die in front of our eyes. A small warning would've been great. What the hell Ashley," Damon seethed. I knew she would've flinched back then if Damon talked to her in that way, but all she did was smirk at him as if this were all just a game. I wasn't surprised with Damon's outburst, seeing at how her death had terribly affected him. I didn't know what to think. My mind could barely wrap around the idea that she knew what vampires were all along.

''Well Damon, when your brothers leave you behind for death, you're not going to come back crawling towards them. I watched the both of you run away from me to save Katherine. Do you know what it feels like to watch your only family leave you for dead?" she asked, staring at Damon with a blank expression. It was obvious she didn't care anymore that we had left her. It was simply for us to feel ashamed, and it was working. I felt the guilt wash over at me as I imagined her on the floor, staring at our backs as we ran to save someone else who wasn't family.

''Can't we all just be happy that were together again and forget the past,'' I said, trying to let it go and also hoping they would calm down. The last thing I needed to see right now was for Damon and Ashley to break into a fight. She had just gotten here, I didn't want to see her leave for a second time.

''I understand Stefan that you're trying to make everything right. But this isn't worth trying to fix. I will never forget what you guys did to me. I want you to both remember leaving me behind without looking back was the biggest mistake you could make," Ashley snapped. I sighed, understanding how broken that probably left her. We didn't even check for a pulse, only paying mind to our safety Katherine's, without even looking back.

And with that she was out of the door in a blink of an eye.

<><><>

"Damon! Stefan!" Ashley screamed, as she tried shoving past all the people.  

It was the night that all the vampires were being burned in the church. Damon and Stefan had run out of the house to try and save their loved one, Katherine, from dying. What they didn't know is that their sister had trailed behind them. So, when Damon and Stefan heard the screams of their little sister, they turned around quickly to yell at her to run to safety. Before she could protest, the sound of a gun went off, followed by a piercing scream the two brothers had wished they had never heard. The boys watched horrified as the light faded from her eyes, and dullness covered over them. They hadn't thought anything through, such as to check her pulse or to grab a hold of her and take her away with them, but to only start running themselves.

However, the Salvatore brothers were too slow. Letting another two bullets release from a gun, two more bodies had hit the ground. That night, they thought they had lost two people in their lives, their sister and Katherine. But what they didn't know, is that both ended up surviving, just like them.