Chapter 3

"Did your leave the cooking fire lit?" Delfina asked. "No." Suddenly, one of the entertainment girls ran in. "Muso, the whole house is on fire." I turned to Delfina. "Get everyone out! Now!" I turned and ran out the door to my room. Once there I grabbed my pack and began to follow the others. I got to the parlor and everyone was there.

"Why aren't your guys out yet?"

"There are bandits out there, and I can't protect them." Muso said. I grabbed the sword off the wall. "Don't worry. I will." I took the lead and walked out the door. Once outside I looked back at the house. The fire was huge. I looked at the group. "Did everyone get out ok?" Everyone was silent. I turned around and saw about thirty men on horse back.

"Well aren't your a pretty little thing?" Said the guy in front.

"Who are you?"

"Who are we? We are the Hellspawn." The group behind him began to hoot and holler. "That's not what I meant." I said. This guy was going to be annoying. Well, two can play that game. I thought to myself. "I mean who are you?"

"I am Frang."

"Is that a real name because if it is your parents must have hated you.""You're quite bold for a woman, aren't you?"

"And you're quite stupid."

He chuckled. I hated his chuckle. Than again I just really did not like this guy. He seemed to bring out the absolute worst in me. Frang dismounted his horse. Turning my head only the slightest bit I whispered to Delfina, "When the battle begins take everyone and run."

"But what about you."

"Don't worry, I'll be right behind you."

Delfina looked doubtful, but didn't argue. I returned my full attention back to Frang. Now that he was off his horse it was easier to size he up. He wasn't tall, but he wasn't short either. He had a medium build, not that I noticed. He had a scar running down the left side of his face. He had thick, black, greasy hair. His armor was fine, which only proved that it was stolen. 'How many people has this guy killed?' I wonder.

"You sure you want to do this? It would be such a waste to have to destroy such a pretty face." Frang called. I put on my best smirk. "What scared already?"

He lunged. At the last second I manage to dodge, but he got a lucky slice down my arm. I quickly lunged and sliced his cheek. 'That's what you get for being cheeky.' I thought to myself. We started to get into a rhythm of lunging, slicing, and dodging. Than I heard one of the girls scream. I turned around and saw one of the men still on horseback had spotted the girls and had his bow out. I ran. He knocked his bow and pulled the arrow back. I jumped. He fired. I landed on my side and jumped up.

"Is everyone okay? Did anyone get hit?" I called. "No. We're all fine." Delphina replied. I turned to the guy who shot the arrow. "That was your last mistake." I yelled. I lunged and with one swing I removed his head. It rolled off his shoulders and landed with a dull thud. I turned to the group behind me. "Run!" I yelled. They took off. "Hey! Come back here and fight me, you coward!" Frang yelled. "Kill them! Kill them all." I heard more arrows slice the air, but never saw a single one of them. I reached for my hair to put it up, but I felt a long stick in my back.

"Wha?" I said as I fell. "Mina!" I heard both Muso and Delphina yell. Funny I could see they weren't very far ahead of me, but they sounded like they were yelling at me from miles away. The next thing I knew Muso, Delphina, and the girls were standing around me. "Run!" I yelled, but it sounded like a hoarse whisper. Muso was standing right above my head.

"Hold on, Mina. Just hang in there." He kept saying. Than blood splatered over me in a nasty scarlet shower. Soaking my hair and T-shirt. His head rolled of his neck and he fell over. Than one of the girls' head fell into my lap. That was the last thing I saw before darkness consumed me.