Part 2

Alexis' POV:

The next few days were insignificant.  I heard nothing from him.  This was good.  I didn't want to hear from him.  Maybe he'd never come back.  

But, I knew that wasn't realistic.  He'd be back.  He always came back.  

What kind of mood would he be in?  Sometimes he would still come back in a bad mood.  Other times, he would apologize, because he felt bad.  And sometimes I think that's what made me stay.  Because it gave me hope that things would get better.  Maybe he would change.

But, who was I kidding?  He was never going to change.  Things were never going to get better.  In fact, I knew they'd only get worse.

And it was in that moment, that I knew the time had come.  I had to make a decision.  Right here.  Right now.  And fast.  Before he got back.  I could leave right now, or die this way.

It was simple.  That was my choice.  

But, all of a sudden, it no longer felt like a choice.  I knew I had to go.  I had to give myself a chance.  A chance at life.  

Suddenly, a burst of adrenaline ran through me.  Like I'd never felt before.  And it hit me like a freight train.  This was my chance.  The chance I had been waiting for.  This was it.   And I had to take it.   Because I had a strange feeling that it would be my last.

I ran to my closet, as fast as I could, and pulled out a worn old suitcase, and quickly threw in the few belongings I owned.  I didn't have much.  Two pairs of jeans.  Four shirts.  A light jacket.  And some socks and underwear.  I only had one pair of sneakers.  But, I was glad.   Because it made packing quick and gave me extra room in the suitcase.  

I went into the bathroom, and quickly chucked a few essential toiletries into the suitcase.

My hands were sweating and shaking.  My breathing was out of control, making my ribs hurt even more.  I was so afraid that any minute he was going to come back and catch me.  Oh, God, I'd be dead.  

Hurry, hurry!  I whispered to myself, as I continued to pack only the most essential items.

I ran back to my closet.  In the far end, there was a shoe box carefully hidden, full of cash that I had managed to secretly save over the last year.  It was nearly $500.  My life savings.

I quickly shoved the cash into my pocket.

Then I ran to the kitchen and grabbed whatever food I could find.  Some crackers, a half a loaf of stale bread, three cereal bars, a half full jar of peanut butter, and two bottles of water.  It wasn't much.  But It would do.

I cautiously opened the front door, my hand shaking so bad, I could barely turn the knob.  I looked around, making sure he wasn't there.  It was all clear.

Then I did, what I never thought I would have the courage to do, and took the biggest risk of my entire life.

I ran.  I ran as fast as I could.  As if my life depended on it.  Because it fucking did.

Oh, God.  What if he sees me?  Please dear God, no.

I slowed down my run to a fast walk, so as not to look suspicious.  The last thing I wanted to do was draw attention to myself.  Plus, the constant pounding of my feet on the concrete, was hurting my ribs so bad, that running really wasn't an option.

I looked around nervously, and stuck to the side streets to avoid being noticed.

My goal was to get to the bus station.  It was only about 5 blocks away.  So, I thought that there was a good chance that I could make it.

I didn't know where I was going or what I was going to do.  I didn't have a plan.  Except to get on a bus, and go as far away as possible.

I finally reached the bus station.  Undetected.  I let out a huge sigh of relief.  

I quickly looked around and ran up to the first ticket person I saw.  An older woman with a kind smile.

"Can I help you?"  she asked.

I was so out of breath I couldn't even speak.

She let me compose myself, and after a few seconds, I finally caught my breath.

"Yes, ma'am.  I-I need a ticket", I said, looking around nervously.  

She laughed.  "Well, you're at the right place.  Where do you need a ticket to?"

"I-I don't know.  Anywhere, I guess."   Why was this taking so long?

"Well, that doesn't sound like a very good plan", she said, suddenly sounding more motherly than a ticket person.

"No ma'am", I said, in a quiet voice, looking around again.  I didn't have time for this.  I just needed my goddamn ticket to anywhere... and fast.

"Please hurry", I said, pleading with her, my voice shaking.

She immediately saw the fear in my eyes, and a look of concern washed over her.

"How old are you, child?"

"I-I'm 19.  I need a ticket."  What difference did it make how old I was?  I was running out of time.  I could be caught at any moment.  And she wanted to make small talk.

But she soon sensed my urgency, and I could tell she knew there was something very wrong, but I also sensed that she knew I needed that ticket more than anything.  So, she didn't push it any further.

"What are you looking for?"

"I-I want to go to a city.  Somewhere far away."  I knew a city would be my best option because I would have access to public transportation.  And a better chance of getting a job.

"There's a city about 50 miles from here."

"I'll take it!"  50 miles was good.  He would never find me there.

"That'll be $30", she said.  "It leaves in 5 minutes.  You better hurry."

I handed her the cash and she handed me the ticket.  And I clutched hold of it for dear life.

"Thank you."  I gave her a nervous smile, then I took off like a shot.  

That ticket was my ticket to freedom.  At that bus was my way to get there.  

And there was no way in hell I wasn't going to be on it.

I got there just in time.  And I was now literally one step from freedom.  

Please, please.  Please don't let me get caught now.

I quickly handed the driver my ticket.  He looked over it, then stepped aside, allowing me to get on.

I hurried onto the bus, and took the first window seat I saw.

The door closed, and the bus began moving.  

As it drove away, I let out a sigh of relief, and a breath I didn't even know I was holding.  

I rested my head against the widow, as a tiny, triumphant smile appeared at the corner of my mouth, and I watched, as the small town, that held so many dark memories, slowly disappeared behind me.

I did it.