Part 31

Nichole's POV:

I got up early the next morning to make us breakfast.  Alexis was still asleep, which was good.  She needed to rest.  Yesterday was crazy and my head was still spinning from everything that happened.

Just as I was making coffee, Lexi walked into the kitchen looking completely and utterly drained.  She was completely deshelved.  Her hair was a mess and and her makeup was smeared all over her face.  But honestly, despite it all, she still looked beautiful, just as she always did.  But right now, that wasn't the point.

"Morning", she said, in her raspy morning voice, still sounding completely  exhausted.  And I knew for a fact that she didn't sleep good, because she had tossed and turned all night.

Good morning", I said, kissing her on her lips.

We sat down at the table and ate breakfast, in relative silence. 

"You ok?" I asked, after awhile, trying to break the uncomfortable quietness.

"No. I'm not", she said simply.  "I'm not ok, at all."

I suddenly felt unsure of what to do.  Should I push the issue or just let it go and give her time?   But then I quickly realized that I had no choice.  She was my girlfriend and I loved her.  And more than anything else in this world, I wanted to be there for her.

"You wanna talk about it?" I asked.  

"No", she said. 

"Are you sure?"

"Yes.  I'm sure.  I don't wanna talk", she said, looking away.

I reached across the table and held her hand.

"Hey, it wasn't all bad.  You got to see your mother, at least.  And that was good, right?" I said, trying to think of the positive.  And at the same time, trying to distract her.

She thought about it for a minute, then nodded.

"Well, see?  That's good at least. Right?"

"Yes.  That part was good.  The other part was bad.  He is bad", she said, almost in a childlike manner.  But it was typical, I had learned, for Lexi to revert to childish mannerisms whenever she was being haunted by her troubled, abusive past.  It was her way of comprehending things.  So, I wasn't overly surprised.  

"Babe, I know he's bad.  And that part was bad.  Really bad.  But, at least you did get to see your mom", I said, trying to refocus her attention back to the positives.

"Yeah", she said simply.  Then thought for a moment.  "I just wish she would have been awake.  And that I could have talked to her.  But I'm still glad I got to see her."

"Yeah", I agreed, taking a sip of my coffee.  "I wish you could have talked to her too.  But at least you did get to see her though."

"Yeah.  And you know what else I wish?"

"What babe?" I asked.

"I just wish she wasn't in the same town as him.  I wish he wasn't there."

I nodded in agreement.  Because of course, I wanted that too.  Then I thought for awhile, then suddenly had an idea.  "Babe, maybe we should think about getting her moved to a different facility?  A facility around here?  That way, it would be away from him, plus you could see her more often if she was closer."

She looked at me, confused,  not sure of what to say.  "But how could we do that?  She's hooked up to all those machines and everything.  How can she be moved?"