Part 54

Nichole's POV:

I awoke the next morning, as the sun peaked through the curtains.  But although the morning sun was welcoming, the events of the previous day quickly came crashing back.  

I sighed, as I crawled out of bed, quickly showered, and dressed, before heading downstairs.

When I got downstairs, Lexi was sitting in kitchen with Sapphire on her lap, purring loudly as she gently patted his head.

But even though she knew I had entered the room, she didn't look up, a dead give away that she was still mad at me from yesterday.  

I sat down at the table next to her, but she continued to ignore me.  

"You want to talk about it?" I asked, softly.

She looked at me, her blue eyes still showing signs of hurt,  but they were much softer than yesterday.  And although that was encouraging, she still didn't say anything.  

"Lexi... I'm so sorry about yesterday", I said.  "I really am.  I shouldn't have acted that way.  I'm truly sorry."

Her face softened even more, as she seemed receptive of my apology, and she finally spoke.  "I'm sorry too.  For getting upset with you."

I immediately felt relief.  Because just as I had hoped, a night's sleep seemed to have helped both of us to calm down and to clear our heads.  But my relief was quickly replaced by the need to reassure her that she has done nothing wrong.

"You have nothing to apologize for, Lexi.  You did nothing wrong", I insisted.

"But I know you were just looking out for me", she insisted.

And what she was saying was true.  I was looking out for her.  But the fact also was, I didn't handle the situation correctly.  And I had let my insecurities get the best of me.  And I knew I hadn't been fair to her.

Unable to resist her not being close to me anymore, I pulled her onto my lap, as Sapphire reluctantly gave up his cozy spot and jumped down to finish his nap on a nearby chair. 

"I am looking out for you, Lexi.  And I always will.  You're my fiancé and I love you very much, and want nothing but the best for you.  But I didn't handle things right yesterday.  I should have respected you and let you speak for yourself.   And I'm sorry for that.  

"It's ok. I forgive you.  And  I didn't want to go that dumb party anyway."

I immediately wrapped my arms around her thin waist, as she snuggled into my chest, as we both felt happy that we weren't fighting anymore.  "You know Lexi, there's other things to do in college, besides just parties.  If you want to get a taste of what college life is really like, there's lots of different things you can do.  You join clubs or other organizations.  There's lot of ways to enjoy college life without drinking.  Especially since you're underage."

She looked me at me.  "Yeah, I know.  And I do want to experience college life, but right now, it's kind of a lot for me just to get adjusted with my classes and stuff.  And working.  And plus, being away from you has been really hard too.  So for right now, I think that's enough."

I brushed a loose strand of her blonde hair out of her eyes, and grazed my hand softly across her check.  "I know.  It's been hard for me too being away from you.  We're used to being together 24/7.  But, college is important and it'll all be worth it in the end."

She smiled, then kissed me softly on the lips, as she let her lips linger on mine.  I eagerly kissed her back, just so happy that we had made up.

"So, are we good now?" I asked, as our lips parted.