Terms and Conditions

Batman waited for the team in the briefing room. As Artemis and Wally walked in, arguing, he turned to the assembled heroes, who immediately quieted down.

"You're going to have a new teammate," he announced.

Everyone started talking.

"What?!"

"Another teammate?"

"Who is it?"

"Why do we need another member?"

"I hope it's a babe."

Everyone stopped talking and glared at Wally. "What? Can't I have a preference?"

Aqualad turned to Batman. "When will we meet this new member?"

"A week. After I've assessed his skills."

Aqualad creased his eyebrows questioningly. "A week? That's a ways off. With Artemis and Miss Martian, no one even told us in advance."

"I'm telling you this now because he could quite possibly be... unruly."

"Who is it already?!" Wally yelled.

"I'm not at liberty to tell you until I'm sure he's going to be joining. It's quite possible that he's not suited for this line of work."

"I thought you said we were going to have a new teammate. Now we might?" Artemis gestured slightly with her arms as she spoke.

"Like I said, I'm not sure he'll be able to meet our expectations here."

"Is that it?" Wally asked. "Is that all you're going to tell us? Because if it is, then I'm going to go eat all of Megan's cookies." When Batman nodded, he sped off to enjoy the sugary treats.

The rest of the team left, leaving Batman to go to the medical bay to get the renegade mercenary ready for his training.

xXx

Renegade pulled at his restraints for what must have been the millionth time. He was bored almost to the point of screaming. Scratch that, he already had. He stopped about ten minutes ago, and he didn't put it past himself to do it again.

Just as he drew in a deep breath, Batman walked in.

"BATMAN!" Renegade shouted in relief. "Impeccable timing! Can we go now? I've been waiting for AGES!"

"It's been a week since you got here. Not even close to ages."

"But I've been ready to go since always!"

Ignoring the inaccuracy of that statement, Batman made no move to free the young mercenary from his restraints. "You were comatose when you got here, with thirteen broken bones, a concussion, and every kind of bruise and laceration, and yet you're already almost completely healed," he said with an obvious question in his tone.

"Oh, yeah. About that. Funny story. But if I told you, I'd have to kill you."

"You're enhanced like your mentor."

"Oh, you do know. That makes life easier. Yeah, good ol' Deathstroke decided to have a kid who could keep up with him. He didn't make me as powerful as himself, naturally, but I've still got amazing reflexes and regeneration, if I do say so myself."

After a moment of silence (and probably serious reconsideration), Batman pulled out the teen's gear and set it on the bedside table. "Before we go, let's lay out some ground rules. You'll be wearing this--" he held up a small band-- "so you don't run off." He clicked it on his small wrist. "If you ever go farther than fifty feet from me or the Mountain, it will deliver an electric shock powerful enough to forestall your mentor. Have no doubt that it will stop you."

"Duly noted."

"And I don't permit swearing. If you do, you'll get a shock. Not as strong, but it will hurt."

"What, you mean like 'poop'? Or 'crap'? Or did you mean 'sh--ow!"

"I anticipated that one. Normally it goes off after you say it."

"OW! What is that thing, a mini bark collar?"

A small smile crept across the Dark Knight's lips. "Same concept."

"That hurts my dignity. And my arm." He flexed his wrist. "Can we get going now? I'm stir crazy."

Batman stepped forward and started to loosen his restraints, then paused. "If you try to escape, there will be consequences."

Renegade made a rolling motion with his hand in a get on with it gesture. "Yes, I'm aware of that. Please just let me go."

With some apparent reluctance, the Bat freed the mercenary. Renegade sat up and swung his legs over the side of the bed, rubbing his bare wrists. He glanced longingly at the shut door for a moment, then saw the Batglare directed at him and quickly looked away. He started to pull on his gear as Batman waited.

As he picked up his utility belt to put it on, he noticed it was significantly lighter. He ripped open the pouches and found, to his dismay, that almost all of his preferred weapons were replaced with-- he shuddered at the word-- nonlethals.

"WHAT?!" he exclaimed in outrage. "You-- How could you? That's my stuff! How am I supposed to do any of the stuff I'm sure you intend me to do without my stuff?"

"You have stuff. It's just stuff that you're going to have to get used to if you're going to be on the team."

Renegade grabbed a batarang (blunted, of course) and waved it in Batman's face. "How am I supposed to work with this load of--" he paused for a moment-- "garbage?" he finished hesitantly.

"Good. You're already catching on to the rules." Renegade could've sworn he saw the Dark Knight smile for the second time in two minutes. "And you work with them by practicing, which you'll get to do when we go out on patrol, and that will only happen if you stop throwing a hissy fit and put your belt on."

Renegade clicked his belt on with a grumpy "hmph." He didn't care if he was acting like a three-year-old. It wasn't right to take away his gear, especially not replace it with the nonlethal... trash he now had to work with. And he couldn't even cuss about it.

"Can we please go now? I need to beat somebody up." Batman frowned slightly. "Fine, fine, I won't go berserk. You have my word."

Batman turned to the door and started walking. "And how much is that worth?"

Renegade didn't answer as he jogged to catch up.

xXx

Aaaaaaand another filler chapter. You know, this was GOING to have plot, but then I thought it was already long enough, so I decided to do that next chapter.

100% guarantee on plot next chapter. You have my word.

But how much is that worth?