ELEVEN

"A sky full of stars
and he was staring at her"
-ATTICUS

"A sky full of starsand he was staring at her" -ATTICUS

~

Violet spent the next days avoiding Sirius Black.

She spent the days walking from class to class, no dawdling, hidden in the corner of the library or safe in the common room. At meal times she sat with her back to the Gryffindor table. Occasionally he tried to catch her eye, but she refused to meet his grey ones. She refused to let herself ponder the 'what ifs'.

Needless to say she flung herself into her schoolwork. Sometimes Remus would join her to study in the library, with a lopsided smile and dark circles beneath his eyes. She was filled with worries for the Gryffindor, but whenever she tried to ask he would close up and make excuses to leave. Violet thought this was her fault- By default she had avoided all of the marauders. Nevertheless the pair would exchange light hearted chatter and swiftly avoid topics such as Sirius Black or why Remus was looking increasingly ill. They even talked about the impending war- but never about their individual secrets. It wasn't that they didn't trust each other, they were just scared of what the other would think.

Violet was unaware that whenever Remus returned to his best friends, he would be bombarded by questions. After all, James Potter hadn't told his mates about his own conversation with the Ravenclaw. Violet had made him promise to keep their conversation secret, but it was killing him to watch Sirius's angst grow. Not that Sirius made it any better, he threw himself into flirting and distracting himself.
It also meant James saw little of Lily Evans, who took advantage of Violet avoiding the marauders to also avoid the marauders. He'd only managed to ask her out twice this week. A total nightmare.

James dragged a hand through his already messy hair, slumped back in a plush armchair by the Gryffindor common room fire. He pushed his glasses up the crook of his nose and surveyed the room. Remus and Peter sat opposite him on the sofa. Remus had his nose in a muggle book and the latter had his head tilted back, eyes closed, drooling slightly. James chuckled lowly, receiving a raised eyebrow from Remus. Lurching up from the chair, he creeped over to the smallest marauder. He got close enough to hear Peters gentles snores- when he jumped on him, shrieking.

"Aghhhwhatsgoingon-" Peter shrieked back, clutching onto Remus (who pretended to be affronted, before letting a laugh slip).

"Thought you looked too calm, mate." James grinned widely, ruffling Pettigrews hair.

Peter groaned, clutching his heart.

"Bloody gave me a heart attack, Prongs, you twat."

"Having fun without me?"

James head snapped to the doorway, his grin growing impossibly larger.