THIRTEEN

"And in the middle of my chaos,
There was you."

~

~

It was only early October, but there was an awfully sharp edge to the Hogsmeade air. Violet and Alex had spent a few hours going from shop to shop, savoring the welcoming heat of the shops interiors before being thrown back into the cold. They sported pink cheeks, frozen fingers and paper bags full of sugar quills and chocolate frogs. Together they had had a great day, chatting like old friends and feeling completely comfortable. If Violet was honest though, she didn't feel like their relationship could progress beyond friends. She pulled her scarf closer to her face, as the pair walked down the street, her breath forming miniature dragon puffs in the air.

'Red is your colour, Violet.'

She frowned slightly, biting her lip. Out of the corner of her eye she glanced at Alex: He walked with great posture, cheeks glowing against sharp cheekbones, blonde hair tousled from the wind. She noticed he had a spray of freckles- a sharp contrast to Sirius's perfect ivory skin. Violet grimaced. Why was she suddenly unable to look at someone without comparing him to Black? Too late, she realized she was still looking at Alex with a grimace when he turned to her.

"Alright, Violet?" He asked, holding back a laugh.

Violet blushed and her hand jumped to cover her lower face. Alex laughed out loud this time, and gently patted her shoulder.

"Don't worry, I get that look all the time." Alex grinned.

Violet raised an eyebrow, hitting him softly on his shoulder. "I sincerely doubt that, Abbott."

"Like you can talk, Jones."

They had reached their destination, the Three Broomsticks, and Alex stepped forward to open the wooden door for them. He smiled back at her, and pushed gently. The door swung open, revealing the warming sight. A fire crackled loudly, accompanied by candles and mismatched lamps to flood the room in soft amber glow. As the pair entered, warmth washed over them, as if sinking into a hot bath. People filled the room, loud and happy chatter buzzing. Violet noticed a few of her fellow Hogwarts students, as well as strangers. She even noticed Hagrid by the bar. Everyone seemed to be having a wonderful time, hands full of butter beer, fire whisky, and pumpkin juice. She licked her lips.

Alex leaned closer, to speak over the noise.

"Shall I order and you find a table?"

The brunette nodded.

"ButterBeer?"

"Butterbeer." She hummed happily, mouth already salivating at the thought.