{10} Ate my cat

Well, this is awkward, Jenny thought

Her and Steve were in the front seat of his car, while Dustin was in the back. The three of them were driving to Dustin's house in the middle of the night, 'Hammer to Fall' playing in the background.

"Wait a sec. How big?" Steve said, breaking the silence. Dustin had just finished giving his account of how he came by D'artagnan and how he was currently locked in his basement.

Because none of his friends would respond to him on the radio, Dustin had to settle for Jenny and Steve to help him deal with Dart. He didn't mind asking for Jenny's help because she was kind of badass and he was friendly with her from seeing her in the arcade, but he was more hesitant when it came to Steve Harrington. The guy was known to be a bit of a jerk.

Dustin placed two fingers in-front of him, about ten centimeters apart. "First it was like that."

He then got both his hands and brought them out a lot further. "Now he's like this."

Jenny's eyes grew, wondering how the hell something could go from the size of a slug to the size of a dog in that short space of time.

Steve frowned at the boy, looking at him through the rear-view mirror. "I swear to God, man, It's just some little lizard, okay?"

"It's not a lizard," Dustin groaned.

"How do you know?"

"How do I know if it's not a lizard?"

"YEAH! How do you know if it's not just a lizard?"

"Because his face opened up and he ate my cat," he said, irritated at Steve for not believing him.

That sure as hell shut Steve up, and Jenny whistled in amazement from the front seat. She looked over at the tall boy and smiled mockingly at him. "I don't think it's a lizard," she said, causing him to roll his eyes in annoyance.

Soon, they had pulled up in-front of the Henderson house and were getting out of the BMW. They walked around to the back of the car and Steve opened the trunk, throwing his keys behind him for Dustin to catch. He then reached in and pulled out his trusty nail-covered bat, twirling it around in his hand. That bat had served him well last year, and he just hoped that it would work the same now.

He looked at Dustin and Jenny. "You guys got anything?" he asked.

Dustin merely shook his head at him. He was only thirteen. What kind of weapons did Steve expect him to have?

"Yeah, my Dad gave me this," said Jenny, pulling a small gun out of her waistband.

The two boys immediately started to freak out.

"Woah, woah, don't wave that thing around!"

"You had that the whole time!?"

Jenny shrugged and feigned innocence. "He has it for emergencies. I thought fighting a potential demogorgon was an emergency."

Steve shook his head at the girl and started walking over to the Henderson's basement door, where the lizard-monster was currently trapped. Jenny watched him as worked, following close behind him. She thought it was pretty nice of him to put himself in danger for a kid he barely knows, kind of brave too.

Steve approached the door slowly, his flashlight shining on the padlock, he paused to listen for the monster.

"I don't hear shit."

"He's in there," Dustin assured.

He hesitated before slightly hitting the door, trying to get the monster to make a sound. When nothing was heard, Jenny came out from behind him and slammed her foot against the door, causing a much louder noise. Both her and Steve stepped back quickly, afraid the monster was going to pop out and attack them. An annoyed Steve Harrington looked back at Dustin and pointed his flashlight at his face.

"All right, listen, kid. I swear, if this is some sort of Halloween prank," he paused, "your dead."

Jenny snorted beside him. "Oh please, tough guy. You won't do anything."

Dustin, squinting from the bright light, shook his head. "It's not a prank! Get it out of my face."

"You got a key for this thing?" Steve asked, giving in and trusting the headset wearing kid.

Once Dustin gave him the key and they opened the squeaking metal doors, him and Jenny looked cautiously inside, Jenny shining the flashlight beside him. It was incredibly dark and neither of them could see anything, especially not a monster.

"He must be further down there," Dustin commented, fidgeting nervously. "I'll stay up here in case he tries to escape."

Steve stared at him incredulously, while Jenny looked at him in boredom. Steve knew that he was only thirteen, but Jesus, what a chicken.

He sighed and had no choice but to man-up and go down there by himself.

"Okay, stay here," he said, "you too Jen."

Jenny laughed and patted him on the chest. "My hero," she said sarcastically, moving in-front of him and walking down the steps. Steve was about to call out and stop her, but decided he didn't want to be killed, and instead followed behind, his bat at the ready.

When they reached the bottom of the cement steps, Jenny shined the lights around the room, looking for the demogorgon. Neither of them saw anything and Steve went over to the light-bulb into the middle of the basement and turned it on. Straight away, a slimy substance caught his eye and he moved to lift it up with the end of the bat. A green, gooey liquid began dripping to the floor and Jenny turned to the noise to see Steve with the weird seaweed-like object.

"Gross," she grimaced.

Then, at the back of the room she noticed a substantial hole in the wall of the basement. She nudged Steve and when he looked at her questioningly, she nodded over at the hole, his eyes widening once he saw it.

They walked back to the stairs to tell Dustin to come down, Steve scaring him with the flashlight.

"Get down here."

Dustin obeyed and walked down the steps, getting nervous once he saw what was on the end of Steve's bat.

"Oh shit."

"Yeah, that's not all," muttered Jenny, shining the flashlight on the hole in the wall.

"Oh shit!"

They approached the hole, and found the situation to be a lot worse, as the hole was an entrance to a tunnel that seemed to go on forever.

"No way," repeated Dustin, not believing that the animal who once was his faithful friend, was capable of creating this.

Jenny and Steve shared a look. They both somehow knew that they were in for another risky adventure such as last year, and boy, they were not looking forward to it.

••••••••••

I had to cut a chapter into two separate chapters cause it was too long, so sorry it's a tad short