{11} Electricity

"All right, so let me get this straight

"All right, so let me get this straight."

The trio were currently walking along the train tracks, wearing yellow rubber gloves and throwing pieces of meat on the ground, hoping to make a trail for the monster. Steve was trying to wrap his head around Dustin's motives for keeping the deadly monster in his house.

"You kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who... you just met?"

Jenny had to agree with him, Dustin's way of getting a girl to like him was a little unbelievable.

"All right, that's grossly oversimplifying things," he rectified, embarrassed that two cool older kids knew about his failed attempt at a love life.

"I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?" Steve asked, frowning and watching his feet step on the wooden boards.

"An inter-dimensional slug? Because it's awesome."

"It is pretty cool," Jenny shrugged.

Steve shook his head. "Well, even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, I..I just... I don't know! I just feel like you're trying way too hard man."

"Well not everyone can have your perfect hair, all right?" Dustin mumbled, and Jenny's heart sagged at the sight of the crestfallen boy. He obviously didn't have a lot of confidence when it came to girls.

"It's not about the hair, man," Steve said, " the key with girls is just.. just acting like you don't care."

Jenny scoffed in disbelief. "That is the worst advice I have ever heard, Harrington. I mean, sure, that might work on some of your bimbos, but other girls won't fall for that dumb shit."

"Oh yeah?" Steve challenged, "you're telling me that if a guy acted like he couldn't care less about you, that wouldn't drive you crazy?"

"Of course that would drive me crazy, but not in a 'wow that's hot, let's makeout' way, it would be more of a "wow you're a jerk, I'm gonna punch you' sort of way."

Steve winced at the thought of being punched by the brunette.

"Anyways, Dustin, please don't listen to Bruce Springsteen over there. You should just be yourself. Take interest in her interests and make her laugh. And if that doesn't work and she can't appreciate what's in front of her, she's an idiot," she said, smiling at the young boy reassuringly, Steve scoffed beside her.

Dustin's eyes grew and he began to shake his head fiercely. "Hell no," he said. He had spent his whole life being himself around girls and so far, that really wasn't working out for him.  "No offense Jenny, but that's literally the worst thing I could do."

He then turned to look at Steve eagerly as Jenny sighed and gazed up at the sky behind him, praying to God to save her from the stupidity filled testosterone.