"Then by all means, Instinct."

Percy's POV

Satisfaction. That was the clearest emotion in the demigod's eyes as I was pulled away. Smirks were forcefully pushed away as they pretended to look like they cared – but even a blind man could tell that they looked pleased. Shrinking under the booing and jeering, I kept my shoulders hunched and my gaze low, not daring to look back at the arena.

After all, they weren't the only ones who had the taste of satisfaction on their lips.

As soon as the din of the arena had faded, I straightened my back and let the smirk fill my face. The two creatures holding me shuffled nervously, made anxious by my sudden change in demeanour. Meanwhile, I let myself gaze over my surroundings, adopting a look of indifference as I eyed my possible escape route.

After all, someone had to lead the demigods out of the Mountain... not that I actually had a choice in the matter.

It was at that moment Laffur, known to most as the Decider of the Doma, walked in, gaze icier than the glaciers eight miles west of the North Mountain. He spoke in a low, rumbling voice, scratchy like the jumper no one felt comfortable in, "Leave us."

Shaking and shivering, the two guards left, followed by Laffur's command, "And close the door!"

After the door shut, Laffur visibly relaxed but the forceful tone remained as he addressed me, "Status report, now."

I looked at him, folding my arms, "They've taken the bait and think I'm taking them to free my 'squadron', rather than some ragtag group of revels who thought I would actually help them despite their disloyalty. Admittedly, however, planting Maiscill amongst their numbers was a smart move as she convinced them to call me."

"... Yes?"

"But they know who the real threat is that they're facing. Hypnos, curse him, used his limited reach over the Alaskan territory and leaked a dream to the Fire Wielder. But I have managed to discover that the blueprints I smuggled to him a year ago have been developed. All I need is to get back onto that ship and Her revival will be impossible to stop."

"I suppose that means you want to lead them to the Cave?"

"With all due respects, Laffur, it's the only way they'll get there. For the best heroes of their age, they sure are a dimwitted bunch," I rolled my eyes, remembering the days of quoting Marvel Comics' infamous line: I have a plan. Attack.

"Don't underestimate them, Jackson. They may be stupid, but they did manage to put Gaia back into her eternal slumber."

"But we need to keep our tracks clean. The cover story about the squadron is the only thing keeping them from going back into America and alerting the gods before taking on Her. I need to keep them moving North."

"I can't let you leave willingly," Laffur contemplated his words for a moment, a tense silence filling the air, "And the monsters will kill you unhesitatingly if you use violence."

I snorted, a sarcastic retort on my lips within the instant, "I think we both know I'm not going to live long enough at the hands of either side unless She rises."

"Then by all means, show the demigods why you took on the name of your sceptre, Instinct."