1

I grunted, my hand making contact with the ball as it soared over the net, landing in the middle of the other team's side of the net. A few groans escaped the other girl's mouths and the ball was handed back to me. I once again punted the ball over, resulting in more groans from the other team.

Gym was not my favorite period of the day, but I excelled in volleyball. I had thought about joining the volleyball team- my best friend Cayla had been on it since 7th grade. She kept telling me to join, but I was already a junior and I was afraid that the volleyball girls would make fun of me. The coach, Mr. Mallon, was known for being strict and mean (and a creep if you ask me).

WHOOP. I was quickly brought out of my trance by the volleyball smacking me in the head. I rubbed my temple and sighed.

RINGGGGG

The period was over. I walked quickly over to the gym bleachers, trying not to trip over my own feet like the idiot that I was. I retrieved my backpack and began walking to the exit door. My next period was the only one that I had with Cayla. AP World History aka global. Just as I was walking out, I felt a strong hand on my shoulder. I whipped around in shock to find my gym teacher, Mrs. Alcott, standing there.

"Hi! Aspen, right?" She was new so I assumed she was just introducing herself. A few teachers had been replaced, and she was one of them.

I weakly smiled and nodded.

"I saw you playing out there today. Are you planning on trying out for the volleyball team? Try outs are after school today and I heard from the new coach that they could use a few more players."

I chuckled. "I dunno, i'm not really much of a sports person."

She smiled. "Think about it, okay?"

I nodded my head. "Hey, did you say new coach? What happened to Mr.Mal? He's my english teacher."

"I think he just retired, but i'm not completely sure." "You should get to class."

I nodded. "Thank you."

I slipped into global right as the bell rang.

"Good morning class. Today we will be comparing China and India's fertile pl-" I zoned out quickly and Cayla lifted an eyebrow at me.

"Where were you?" Cayla hissed.

I looked up from my paper and rolled my eyes.

"Talking to the new gym teacher. She wants me to try out for volleyball..." I chuckled.

"What? You have to! Come on it would be so fun! It's November anyways so you don't have ice skating lessons until January! Pleaseeee!" She smiled.

My teacher cleared his throat. "Ms. Katz, Ms. Rivers? Is there something you would like to share with the class?"

Silence.

"Okay then I guess you will be joining me after school for detention." He smirked at us, raising an eyebrow.

Cayla grunted. "I can't, Sir. I have volleyball tryouts."

He rolled his eyes. "I am forced to excuse you from detention for that reason." I saw Cayla smiling out of the corner of my eye.

"Aspen, will you be joining me today?" He chuckled.

"I also have volleyball tryouts." Cayla was eying me eagerly.