4

I ran into my English class about ten seconds after the bell rang. I quickly pulled out my books praying that Ms. Fletcher wouldn't notice that I was late.

"Ms. Rivers? Why are you tardy?" I mentally cursed myself as soon as I heard that unmistakable voice.

"Coach? What are you doing here?" I asked, uncertainly.

"I am your new English teacher. Please go get a pass from the main office." I just sat there. "Now please." he spoke through his teeth and I scrambled out the door.

                                      •

"And that concludes today's lesson. Read chapter one for homework."

RINGGGGG

I started to get up when a girl with long red hair stopped me.

"Hey. You seem cool. My name's Madeleine but you can call me Maddie." She stuck out her hand.

"Well hi Maddie, i'm Aspen. Are you new?" I smiled.

"Yep. I just moved here from California, actually."

"Woah that's so cool! I've always wante-"

"Aspen! Come here please!" Coach Styles yelled across the room at me.

"Ugh he's so hot." She looked at him like an animal looks at his next meal.

"Styles?" I chuckled.

"Aspen! Did you hear me?" He sounded tense.

"I should probably get going. Bye." She said and I waved.

"Hi." I looked at coach.

"Tell the girls we're meeting in the big gym today please." He didn't look at me.

"That's it?" I asked, annoyed. He looked up at me and raised his eyebrows.

"Actually, no. Have a seat." I sighed and sat down.

"Please tell me how it's the second day of school and you are failing this class." He asked, questioning me.

"Uh... I don't know." I said looking down at my thighs.

He sighed and stood up. "Let's go." I followed him reluctantly and he led me to the main gym where the meeting was taking place.
                                     •

"All of you have worked hard and deserve to be on this team." He closed his hands together. "With that being said, only three of you can be captain. The three girls I have chosen have proven to be the strongest leaders of this team, whether or not they chose to show me... I found it inside of them." He patted his heart and looked around to see the girls gushing.

"The girls I have chosen to be my captains are Cayla Katz, Aspen Rivers, and Claire Huppburn. Congrats, ladies." I smile at Cayla but see Claire grimacing in the back. Alright you may all go. Thank you for being here."

Cayla and I walked out as I called my brother. No answer. I groaned.

"He sucks. I'm sorry girl I would drive you but i'm staying late to work on a project." Cayla sighed.

"It's fine i'll go find coach." I said, smiling weakly.

I walked slowly to my coaches office. He honestly probably thought I was in love with him, I asked him to do so much in the few days i've known him. I knocked my usual three times.

"Come in Aspen."

"How did you know it was me?" I asked, shutting the door behind me and plopping down on one of his cold leather chairs.