Bill•The Pen

{Requested}

"It's getting late, I've gotta go," I said, standing up. I gathered my homework into a pile and stuffed it into my bag carelessly. Bill looked up from his studying before he spoke.

"You're g-going to be at school to-tomorrow, right?" he asked attentively, tapping the eraser of his pencil on the desk. I nodded as I zipped up my bag.

"Most likely, unless I get kidnapped, or somehow contract the bubonic plague," I joked. Bill smiled and pulled out a piece of paper.

"Can I at least g-get your phone numb-ber before you leave?" he asked, handing me the paper. I reached into my pocket, pulling my sparkly red pen out to scribble down the number. I then folded the paper and handed it back to him.

"There you go," I said, opening the door.

"I'll see you l-later, then, Shannon," he said, waving. I grinned and waved back as I shut the door to begin my journey home. It was a relatively short walk away, so it shouldn't have been too long. I pulled the second strap of my backpack over my shoulder and began walking.

It was fairly warm out, and the sun was setting. It was June, after all, and school would be ending soon. Just another week or two, and I would be out of that hell-hole. As I walked, I reached into my bag to retrieve my Walkman. Pulling the headphones over my ears, I listened to the sweet music, being transported to my house in complete and utter peace.

At least I thought it was.

As I curved around the block, I felt a sharp chill go down my back. Squeezing my shoulder blades together, I shook it off and ignored it.

As I walked, however, I kept getting the icy feeling that someone was watching me. Not being able to take it, I pulled my headphones down, around my neck, and looked over my shoulder. To the right, to the left. No one was there. I turned forward to run home, but that's when it happened. That's when I ran face first into the clown.

It must've been over eight feet tall, its harrowing features towering over me. Its pale white skin looked sickly and unhealthy, and its pointed smile sent shivers down my spine. Its eyes were blank, each pointed in a different direction, and its cold, giant hand was wrapped around my neck. My stomach dropped and I inhaled sharply.

"Hiya there," the clown said. "What is a pretty girl like you doing out so late?" Its voice felt like someone was breathing down my neck, somewhat calming, yet alarming at the same time.

I was frozen in place. My knees were locked, and even though I wanted to move my hands to pry his fingers off of my neck, I just couldn't. Trying to respond, I instead let out a high pitched squeak, only making the clown tighten his grip. Oof.

"What was that? You've got to learn to use your words," it chuckled. This was it. This was the end. Death by clown. I watched as it unhinged its jaw, proudly displaying over four rows of razor sharp teeth. I closed my eyes, waiting to be strangled to death or eaten alive.

"Shannon!" I heard a voice call. My eyes shot open, and I turned toward the voice. I saw an old bike drop to the ground as a tall brunette sprinted towards me. Bill.

"Bill!" I screamed. The clown pushed its hand against my face, muffling my cries, before shaking its head and smiling.

"Shannon? Is that your name?" it asked, smiling even wider than before. "What a pretty name." As tears fell slipped down my cheeks, I screamed beneath its hand, looking toward Bill. The clown turned to look at him as well, slightly releasing its grip. I watched as Bill pulled a pocket knife out of his pocket, and sprinted even faster towards the clown.

"Oh, wouldya look at that," the clown said. "Little Billy come to protect his girlfriend?"

Bill said nothing before jabbing his knife straight into the clown's forearm. It jumped back a bit, slightly startled, and let go of my neck. I fell to the ground, panting, and scrambled away quickly. From the side, I watched as the clown stared at Bill, but before it could do anything, I ran. I ran past the clown and grabbed Bill, pulling him to his bike. We both got on and Bill pedaled away, as far as he could. I turned to look back at the clown, but I saw nothing. All I saw was the empty street, calm and peaceful as it was before.

We arrived at Bill's house as the sky turned fully black. We snuck in through the back and I sat on the floor of his bedroom, traumatized. Bill sat next to me, resting his arms on his knees. I looked at him.

"How did you find me?" I asked, genuinely curious. There was no way that we would just meet by coincidence. He pulled a sparkly red pen out of his pocket and handed it to me.

"Y-you forgot your pen," he said softly, shrugging. I examined the pen, astounded that he would bike to my house just to return a pen. I chuckled, closing my eyes and leaning on him for support.

"You're an idiot."

I then drifted off to sleep, hopeful that the next day would be ten times better than the last.