Henry•Crush

{Requested}

Ring. Ring.

The final bell of the year wrung throughout the halls, causing an immense amount of chaos in every class. Papers on the floor, pencils thrown across the classroom, and friends screaming at each other as they ran out of the doors. It was quite a sight.

Meanwhile, in classroom 204, Ari was peacefully gathering her things, set and ready to leave the school behind until September. She walked out the door, and, after making her way through the crowd, took a seat on the cement steps in front of the school, waiting to be picked up.

To Ari's right, her classmates were loading onto the school buses, hot and sweaty in the summer sun. To her left, kids were emptying their backpacks into trash cans, ridding themselves of the weight of their schoolwork that they carried around each day. Examining the kids a bit closer, she noticed Bill Denbrough joking with his friends as they emptied their bags. Huh, and to think his brother had disappeared earlier in the year.

Ari dug through her bag to find her walkman, headphones still plugged in from that morning. She pulled it out of her bag and hit play, drowning out the chaos with music. She kept her eyes on Bill and his friends, finding their antics amusing as they talked amongst themselves. That's when it happened.

Ari watched as Henry Bowers himself grabbed Richie's backpack and pulled him back, knocking both him and Stanley down at once. That got her attention. Standing to get a better view of the scene, Ari darted down the steps and hid behind a tree, desperate to not get caught.

She watched as Bill defended his friends, but much to his dismay, Henry was unfazed. He licked his hand and wiped it on the smaller boy's face as he turned to leave. That was it, it was over. However, as Henry faced the school, he noticed someone watching. Eyes locked onto Henry's, Ari exhaled sharply and took off, speed walking to the parking lot.

Don't look back, don't look back, don't look back, she thought, pulling her other backpack strap over her shoulder, preparing to sprint. Just a little farther...

"Where you off to, babe?" a voice called slyly. Shoot. Ari stopped straight in her tracks for a moment. Just a moment. As she willed herself not to turn around, she gripped her backpack straps tighter, ignoring the boy. Then, she began walking again, tuning out the chuckles that echoed behind her. "Come on, I know you can hear me," he said once again. No, she thought. He'll go away.

Henry jogged past Ari, lightly grabbing her arm to stop her. Ari faced him, blinking slowly before she spoke, summoning all of her confidence.

"Wh-what do you want?" she said strongly. Henry's eyes widened and a small smile found his face.

"So you've got a stutter, huh?" he questioned. He glanced at the concrete for a moment, mumbling under his breath. "Cute."

...

wot?

"Excuse me?" Ari said quickly, not believing her ears. Henry immediately looked back up and crossed his arms.

"Nothing," he said in defense. Ari rolled her eyes and began walking again, Henry at her side. "It's Ari, right?"

"I d-don't know, what do y-you think?" she said sarcastically, teasing him.

"Well then, are you free Friday night?" he asked, winking at her. "We can make out in Belch's car if you want."

"And why w-would I do that?" Ari asked. She listened to Henry sigh as he spoke.

"Because I kinda really like you just a little bit and I was hoping you felt the same way," he exhaled, swinging his speech. Aaaand there it is, Ari thought. Smiling and facing Henry, she brushed some hair out of her eyes.

"Y-you know what? I think I a-am free Friday night."