Richie•History Book

{Requested}

"Mr. Tozier. Late again, I see?"

Richie slammed the door shut, panting.

"Sorry, Mrs. H. Got caught in traffic dropping off all the ladies," he chuckled. As he scratched the back of his head, the teacher raised a brow.

"You're 13, Richie. No need to fake having a license when we all know you're incapable of even the simplest things," the teacher scolded, motioning for him to sit down. I watched as his eyes scanned the classroom for a seat after handing her his late pass. Looking around myself, my heart dropped in dismay as I realized the only empty seat was behind me. Oh boy.

Richie's eyes met mine for a brief second, but I looked away quickly, no doubt causing him to smirk as he made his way towards the seat. As the teacher stepped back to the front of the class, I turned forwards to face her.

"Right. Where were we?" she continued, jumping straight back into a lecture on ancient Chinese philosophies.

As she spoke, I felt unusually self conscious, like someone was watching me. I turned my head to look behind me in the most subtle way possible, but I didn't notice anything besides Richie slouched back in his chair, his mind off in space. How in the world does this kid still have an A in this class? I wondered.

"Alrighty, students. Open your books to chapter eight, section three. When you finish reading, answer the questions at the end of the chapter," she sighed, sitting in her seat. I ruffled through my bag and pulled out my history book, immediately flipping to the assigned section. My eyes ran across the page, scanning the information on Confucianism as fast as possible.

"Hey," a voice whispered. I raised my head slightly, checking my surroundings before finding my spot in the book, getting back to work.

"Hey," the voice whispered again, more aggressively. This time, I heard it come distinctly from the boy seated behind me. Rolling my eyes, I pushed the thought out of my brain, focusing on the assignment. "Don't ignore me," he hissed. When I didn't respond, I felt a tug on one of my curls from behind.

"Hey, what gives?!" I whispered harshly, turning to confront Richie. He was on the edge of his chair, leaned over his desk, as if he physically went out of his way just to pull my hair.

"Finally got your attention," he smirked. Taking a deep breath to calm myself, I clenched my fists and smiled in fakery.

"What do you need, Richie?" I cooed, hoping to just get the interaction over with.

"What page is the assignment?" he asked. That's it? I wondered. Well, that's pretty easy.

"Section three starts on 156," I sighed, turning back to my book. I wanted to finish the assignment before the end of the period, so I had to get going—

"Hey," Richie called again quietly.

"What, Richie?" I groaned, facing him once again.

"Do you happen to have an extra book? I forgot mine," he asked. I scanned his face to see if he was serious.

"How in the world did you forget your book? This is a history class, for goodness sakes. It literally revolves around books," I criticized, scolding him at once.

"I accidentally left it at my girlfriend's house. I was distracted by... other things, so I kinda forgot it," he smirked, inching even closer towards me on his desk.

"By 'girlfriend' don't you mean reflection? Because that hair really makes people think you're a girl," I scoffed, rolling my eyes and facing my book once again.

"Hey, wait!" he called again. I turned towards him once more, rolling my eyes.

"What in God's name do you want now, Richie?"

"Do you have an extra book?" He asked. Oh, that's right. He's an idiot and forgot his book.

"No, Richie. I don't carry around a second copy of a seven pound book wherever I go," I scoffed. As I finished my sentence, the bell rang, making me clench my fists in anger. I guess I've got homework for tonight, I thought. Carelessly sliding my book into my bag, I zipped it up and left.

_____
"Two days in a row, Mr. Tozier?"

The teacher slipped by the door to collect Richie's late pass and once again motioned to the empty seat behind me. Not again, I frowned, crossing my arms. Richie slammed his stuff down behind me as the teacher began her lesson.

Once again, the teacher left us alone with silent reading time, and once again, Richie began to pester me.

"Hey," he whispered to me. I turned to face him, knowing that if I just ignored him, he would do more to annoy me.

"Yeah?" I sighed, blinking slowly.

"Do you have an extra book?" he asked. My brow furrowed as my jaw dropped slightly. Who even is this kid?!

"Really, Richie? Two days in a row?" I chuckled sarcastically. He nodded solemnly, folding his hands.

"But this time, I left it in Eddie's mom's underwear drawer," he joked, nudging the kid sitting next to him, who glared at him and grumbled. My hand slapped over my mouth, releasing a chuckle. I sighed, shaking my head at Richie.

"Unfortunately, I don't have an extra book. Tough luck," I said, turning back to my book.

"What are we even reading about today, more philosophical stuff?" he asked, leaning over my shoulder to read the book.

"Legalism," I responded, looking up at the clock quickly. The period was about to end, so I slammed my book shut and zipped it away in my bag. "Do me a favor and bring a book tomorrow, Richie," I advised, facing him.

"But then I wouldn't have any time to annoy you throughout the whole period," he explained, smirking. I groaned as the bell rang. Gathering my things, I left the classroom.

_____
Richie rushed into the classroom seconds before the bell rang, immediately heading towards his seat.

"Wow, you're not late for once, Mr. Tozier," the teacher said, surprised.

"Yeah," he responded. "I had a change of heart, I guess."

After the teacher's lecture, I opened my book, ready to do the assignment.

"Hey," Richie whispered. What did I expect? I thought to myself, turning to Richie.

"I guess that change of heart didn't apply to your history book," I grumbled, staring intently as he shook his head, chuckling.

"What about you? You got an extra history book today?"

Sighing, I reached into my bag and pulled out a second history book, tossing it onto his desk. He stared at it, wide eyed, then at me. I simply shrugged, leaning back into my chair.

"What the hell? I didn't expect you to actually have one," he said in awe.

"Well, I don't know. Change of heart, I guess?" I chuckled, admiring the smile that the boy wore on his face. He's not as bad as I thought he would be, I thought, blushing slightly as I turned to my assignment.

"Hey," Richie whispered. I groaned, throwing my head back lazily.

"What now, Richie?" I asked, being faced with the brightest tormenting smile I've ever seen.

"What page number is the assignment?"