Chapter Eight

Tommy didn't realize at first that he was in a dream. Everything around him was so vivid, and wherever he was looked like part of the grounds of the castle. It looked to be somewhere beyond the garden. He was in a little grove by a stream, clustered with trees.

 "Ah, good. You're here."

 There was a woman sitting in the grass by the stream. She wore a bright blue gown and had long brown hair tied up in a neat bun. She gave him a warm smile. "Hello, Tommy."

 "How do you know my name?" he asked.

 "This is a dream," she said. "Anything is possible. So, you are now living in the castle of Lady Floor. Do you miss your old home?"

 "Of course I do," Tommy answered. "I don't think I could ever not miss it."

 "No, of course not. You are becoming acquainted with Lady Floor, are you not? What do you think of her?"

 "I...I really don't know." Tommy sat down next to her in the grass. "She threatened to murder my brother if I didn't come to stay with her. But she doesn't seem all that terrible. We had a very civilized conversation at supper. I don't think I'm meant to be a prisoner. I'm more like a welcome guest. She said that I could explore anywhere in the castle or the grounds. Do you know her?"

 "I do," the woman replied. "And I will give you this advice: be polite and patient with her, and she will do the same for you. You may be surprised with each other."

 He shrugged. "I'll try. But who are you? Lady Floor said that no one else lives in the castle."

 "And that is true. You don't need to know who I am, only that I am a friend. Besides, it is morning. It's time for you to wake up."

~~~~~~

 Tommy opened his eyes. It was morning, and he was back in his bed. What a strange dream that was, he thought. He had no idea who the woman was, or what the dream was supposed to mean for him, but h figured it had something to do with the magic of this place.

 After a quick breakfast, Tommy went out to the gardens again. Instead of wandering all through as he had the day before, he walked along the edges of the garden wall. In the wall towards the far of the gardens was a gate. It was old, and had clearly not been used for years. It took a lot of strength and effort to get it to open. It opened out to a little hill that sloped downward, leading to what looked like a little grove of trees.

 He hurried down the hill, and found himself standing by a stream, one that he had seen before.

 He was standing in the same spot where his dream had taken place.

~~~~~~

 At supper, Tommy said, "Can I ask you something?"

 "You can ask," Lady Floor replied, "But there's no guarantee I'll give you a proper answer."

 "Did another woman ever live here?" he asked.

 "Perhaps. Can you describe her?"

 "Um, she was tall, I think. She was sitting down, so I don't know. She had brown hair, and she was wearing a blue gown. I don't know her name, but she said she knew you."

 "Did she? Where did you see this woman?"

 "In...in a dream," Tommy answered, thinking it must have sounded silly when he said it.

 "Ah. Well, I believe I may have known her once. Are you sure that's the best description you can give?"

 "Yes. Do you know her, then? Has she been here before?"

 "Gone." She cleared her throat. "Long gone now. It's nothing you need concern yourself with. Now, Tommy, I must ask, will you marry me?"

 Tommy was surprised she would ask him a second time. They had just been through this the night before. He shook his head and said again, "No, I couldn't."

 "Then I must bid you goodnight, Tommy." Lady Floor rose from her chair. "I expect to see again tomorrow night, and perhaps we will see each other in the day as well."

 Well, if they were going to have supper together every night, Tommy certainly hoped she would save them both the awkwardness of proposing to him every night.