Chapter Thirteen

Tommy found himself by the stream again. The woman in the blue dress, the one from the portrait, was there standing in front of him.

 "I see you've discovered my secret," she said.

 "Yes. You were Lady Floor before she became...before she was cursed."

 "I am. And if you had met that Lady Floor, you would never have liked her. I have done things I regret. I'm very sorry you can't go home. But even though this is my home, we're both prisoners. We may as well be friends." She looked up at the sky. "I do believe the sun rising where you are. You should go see if that wall went down yet, though I doubt it. Good luck."

~~~~~~

 Tommy crept down the stairs as quietly as possible. He realized now how accustomed he was to the silence of this castle, and it disturbed that he could actually grow used to such a state of things.

 The sun was only just beginning to rise, a few rays of light coming out from behind the trees. He hurried down the path towards the forest, but stopped when he got to the edge, remembering what had happened when he ran into it the day before. He reached his hand out, and felt the invisible wall again. He was still trapped. He could have walked around a different way, just run into the woods from anywhere, but he had the feeling this wall was across the entire grounds. There was no getting out, at least not yet.

 His spirits downcast, Tommy walked over to the garden, to the little pavilion which stood in the center. He sat down inside and watched as the sun rose further into the sky. He had come to realize this place was beautiful, with its magnificent castle and blooming garden. If only it weren't so empty, so lifeless.

 "I take it you like the pavilion as well."

 Tommy jumped at the sound of Lady Floor's voice. He hadn't heard her footsteps, or any sign that there was someone else besides him in the garden.

 "Do you come out here often?" he asked. "I don't think I've ever seen you here."

 "Sometimes I do. It is a favorite place of mine. There have been many times when I looked out my window and saw you here." She sat down in the other chair. "I'm very sorry if my mirror upset you yesterday, and that you had to hear such things about me, even if they are true. I suppose it isn't hard to see why I was imprisoned here."

 "But how were you imprisoned here?" Tommy asked. "That's what I don't know."

 "Someone powerful put me in here. She was kind to me. She offered me her friendship, and I was cruel to her. She was a sorceress or an enchantress of some kind; it's been so long that I don't even remember. I was put in this state to be taught a lesson. I'm sure she's still watching over me, making sure I don't murder my chance at freedom."

 "Well, I don't understand that," Tommy said. "How am I supposed to beak the curse?"

 Lady Floor shrugged. "By teaching me about feelings, I suppose. Perhaps if we're friends and I care about you, I'll be able to show I have feelings and redeem myself. You see these nails?" She held up her hands. "I can't get rid of them. I once ripped them all off, and fainted from the pain. When I woke up, they were back again."

 "But why do you wear a mask?"

 "Because she made me hideous."

 "But there was no one else here until I came," Tommy pointed out. "Who would have seen you?"

 "I didn't wear a mask before you came. That was partly how I terrified your brother so much."

 "Oh. Well, would you ever be willing to let me see your face? I won't run away from you, promise. I don't think there's anywhere I can run, anyway."

 She turned away from him. "I'll show you someday. But not yet, not today. But if you don't mind...I would like to be friends."

 "I already felt like we were becoming friends," Tommy said, "So, yes, let's. Why don't we have breakfast together? It'll be a good start."

 He thought he saw her begin to smile, and she replied, "Yes. I would like that very much."