Be Careful

(I had to beat my laptop up to get this chapter out. Hoping to get a new computer on cyber Monday) 

A hard knock to his head jerked Harper out of his peaceful sleep. His eyes opened, leaving him confused, staring up at the ceiling. What? I was sleeping on the chair... He slid his feet from where they remained on the cushion, then pushed himself up. 

Before he could orient himself, something dropped over his head, blocking his vision. Holding back a yelp, Harper swatted at the fabric until it was tossed aside. The blanket that had been on the chair? 

A knock from Rule's bedchambers had Harper jumping to his feet and hurrying inside, bowing as he stepped over the threshold. "Good afternoon, my lord."  

Rule's back was to him as he worked on undoing his coat. Harper watched his muscles move beneath the thick fabric before running around to his front and reaching up, his fingers going for the remaining buttons that still needed undone. "Let me help, please, my lord."

There was no verbal response, but when Rule slowly lowered his hands to his sides, Harper took it as acceptance. Carefully but quickly, he got the coat unbuttoned, then removed it from Rule's broad shoulders. He took a moment to hang it back in its proper place, then returned to help him undo the buttons on the long-sleeved shirt that had been beneath it.

"You're awfully quiet, Harper." 

He knew that Rule pointing out his silence was an opening to start a conversation, but Harper was still shaken from earlier, and really didn't want to talk about it. Rule shrugged his shoulders as the shirt came off, leaving him in just a pair of trousers and boots. Harper hurried to put the shirt in the hamper to be taken down later to be washed, then turned and bowed.

When he straightened, Rule was suddenly much closer, making him jump a little. "Are you feeling alright? You aren't still sick, are you?" Rule asked, lifting a hand toward Harper's forehead. Harper stepped back, fidgeting a little with his hands before giving a small bow. 

"Do you require anything else, my lord?" 

When he lifted his eyes, Rule looked down at his remaining clothing, then back up to Harper with a raised eyebrow. I can't. Licking his lips nervously, Harper gave a very slight shake of his head, hoping that Rule would understand and not make him feel even more uncomfortable. 

The thoughts running through Rule's mind flashed before his eyes, but thankfully, when he finally decided to break the silence, he was smiling. "Go down to the kitchen and fetch us some afternoon tea and some lunch." 

Sighing with relief, Harper bowed again, then turned to head toward the door. He was just pulling it open when a strong hand pushed it closed abruptly. Harper tried to step away, but his back was met by Rule's firm chest. He could feel the man's warmth through his thin shirt as well as the pressure as his chest rose and fell with breath. The faint warm brush of air against his left ear made his heart jerk in his chest. 

"I forgot to mention. Do not, under any circumstances, do what anyone else asks of you. I don't care who it is. You belong to me, no one else. Do I make myself clear, Harper?" Rule whispered, sending a shiver down his spine for unknown reasons. 

When his voice failed him, Harper swallowed and nodded. The moment Rule backed away, Harper was out the door, running as if Arthur's dog was upon his heels. He felt winded before he even got to the stairs, but didn't slow until he had made it all the way to the kitchen. 

"Is something the matter, Hari?" The cook asked, raising an eyebrow at Harper's sudden appearance. 

Shaking his head, Harper hurried to get together a set of tea cups and the necessary other items he'd need. "My lord has requested that I bring him a tea tray and lunch." He stated as he finished getting the cups, tray, plates and silverware together.