Ego

The bed was uncomfortably cold when Harper awoke the next morning. He was only a little upset when he sat up, wincing as his backside throbbed. Leaning back against the pillows, he looked to the side, following a scent his nose had caught. 

Oh. They brought me breakfast? 

Glancing around, he confirmed that neither lord was present, then carefully scooted to the edge of the bed. A letter sat on the silver platter with the plate of eggs, sausage, and bread on it. Picking it up, he opened it and pulled out the folded piece of paper within it.

Apologies for leaving, love, but Arthur started having trouble breathing after you fell asleep last night. I am taking him back to the hospital so that they can check on his condition. We will return as soon as we are able. Please rest today and take care of yourself.

Harper frowned at the note. He wished that they had woken him so that he could come... but he wasn't sure if he would be able to ride a horse very well for a day or two with how sore he felt. 

Perhaps it was for the best that they didn't try to bring me along. 

Deciding that he was going to be lazy for likely the first day in his life, Harper stretched beneath the blankets, then pulled the tray onto his lap to enjoy his meal. I wounder if they cooked this or if the chef did. It would have been interesting seeing the lords try to make something. He knew that they weren't the best in the kitchen after knowing them for so long. 

He finished eating about twenty minutes later, then made himself get out of bed. The pain intensified when he stood, but Harper wasn't going to laze away in bed all day. Stiffly, he walked into the washroom, careful of his foot, and was relieved to see that a fresh bath had been drawn. 

The water was cool, but he didn't want to light the logs beneath the tub to warm it, so he climbed in after shedding the shirt he'd slept in. He took his time washing himself thoroughly, even though the lords had done quite a good job on him last night. Mainly because the lords had done a good job on him last night. 

Memories flooded his mind, immediately making him uncomfortable. He shifted awkwardly, but thankfully the water was cold enough to make him calm down quickly. 

"That was almost bad." He mumbled as he hurried to get out and dry off. 

Harper got himself dressed in some clothing he'd been given by Abel, then made his way to the door of the chambers. Okay. Just take a deep breath and be yourself. No one needs to know that you slept with them last night. No need for awkwardness. 

Sighing out a stressed breath, Harper grabbed the door handle and slowly turned it until the large door swung lazily inward. After one more quick pep talk, he slipped from the room. 

"Oh my! Um, s-sir, you um..." Harper jumped at the sound of the maids voice from a few feet away. She was carrying fresh linens, likely going to store them in the closet a bit further down the hall. 

Hopefully she doesn't find... 

Pushing away the thought about the sock, he forced a strained smile. "Yes, ma'am?" He questioned hesitantly, already feeling very awkward. 

She pointed to her neck stiffly, then pursed her lips before replying. "You may wish to, um, dawn a scarf, sir." The maid mumbled before hurrying on her way, leaving Harper standing there with a face more red than the apples he'd seen hanging about the trees at the magistrate's home. 

Ducking back inside of lord Arthur's chambers, he hurried to the medium mirror hanging in the washroom. When he saw his reflection, his mouth dropped open.