Damon's Death scene "TVD Season 5 Episode 22" HOME

OUTSIDE MYSTIC FALLS

(While waiting for the signal from Liz, Damon sits outside of the Town's city line and drinks a bottle of alchohol, until he gets confirmation from Liz that the plan is a go. He sits in the driver's seat of his car and proceeds to drive into town, but Elena gets in the passenger seat beside him.)

Damon: What the hell are you doing?

Elena: You said to respect your choice and I did. Now, I need you to respect mine. 

Damon: Woah. No. No. That's not how this works, Elena. The second we cross the border, you're going to feel everything... You're going to drown all over again. It's going to take you back to the night you died as a human. 

Elena: I know what I signed up for, Damon and I'm all in. 

(Damon hesitates and contemplates his next move.)

Elena: What are you staring at? Drive! 

(Grinning, he turns the key in the ignition and they drive off towards Mystic Falls.)

(After crossing the border into Mystic Falls, Damon and Elena speed toward the grill.)

Elena: Hurry! We have to die while we're still vampires, or..

(Elena suddently starts choking on water.) 

Damon (noticing the water): No!

(Damon slams his foot down on the petal and starts driving more quickly)

Damon (crying out in frustration when he isn't moving as quick as he'd like): Come on!

(Elena looks over at Damon, clearly scared.)

Elena: Damon...

Damon: I know...

(Damon takes Elena by the hand as they come up on the Grill. They brace themselves for impact, before their car crashes through the window at the grill. Soon after, the building explodes.)

INSIDE THE CRYPT

(Elena enters the crypt and sees that the spell has stopped.)

Elena: Oh my god. Liv!

(She looks around for Liv, but both she and Luke are gone.)

Elena: Bonnie! We need to find them. We need to start the spell again. 

Bonnie: We can't! That was our one shot. 

Elena: Yeah, but Damon is on the other side, we have to—

Bonnie: ELENA...

(Bonnie has a hard time containing her emotion.)

Bonnie: It's too late.

Elena: No. 

(Elena starts to cry hysterically. Repeating "no" over and over again.)

Bonnie: He's here. You can say good-bye.

(Bonnie leaves the crypt.)

INSIDE THE CRYPT

Elena (hysterically): You lied to me. 

(Damon goes over and stroke's Elena's hair and face. She feels it, but can not see his hand.)

Damon: Even if I wanted to apologize, you couldn't hear me... so I won't.

Elena: Please, don't leave me. 

Damon: I don't have a choice, baby. You are, by far, the greatest thing that ever happened to me in my 173 years on this Earth. I get to die knowing I was loved—not just by anyone—by you, Elena Gilbert. It's the epitome of a fulfilled life. It’s never gonna get any better than this. I peaked. 

(Damon wipes the tears from her face.)

Damon: I love you, Elena

Elena: Please... please... come back to me.

Damon: Bye