Nineteen

Kaelin

It's dark and it's cold - these are the only two facts I have been able to put together since I woke up. Oh, and I'm afraid. I have no idea where I am or why I am here and that thought alone scares me shitless.

I'm a person that always likes to have control over where I am and what I am doing. Here, it's their rules.

The door, which I find is straight in front of me, opens, and light shines in. I shield my eyes before they adjust and I can see who it is.

Dryden walks in with... Mason? What the fuck is going on here? My eyes begin to water as betrayal tears at my heart strings. How could he? Did that year we dated mean absolutely nothing to him?

"M-Mason?" My voice cracks in the middle of saying his name. "What's going on?"

He looks at me sadly, and I can tell I'm not going like whatever it is he's going to tell me. He doesn't say anything, he just walks over to me and picks me up gently. I wince as the room spins making my head ache.

"You will understand soon enough, Kaelin... I'm sorry you had to get dragged into this." Mason says.

He carries me out of the dark room and up a dank set of stairs. The stairs lead to an elaborate living room with a kitchen to the side. Mason turns and goes up another set of stairs. Dryden stayed downstairs, so it's just Mason and I now.

Mason walks into a sitting room of sorts and shuts the door behind us with his foot. He places me on one couch and sits across from me on another. I look at the boy I once loved, the boy I would have done anything for - and I do not recognize him.

"Mason what is this about? What's going on?" I whisper. I bring my knees to my chest and try to avoid eye contact with him. I can't even look at his face because it hurts so much.

"There's no easy way to put this... Your father is alive, Kaelin, and he is trying to take his gang back." Mason says with a sad sigh. "Gage and your mother are ready to help him, so we needed leverage. Nolan and his parents are backing your dad as well."

Ice shoots through my veins and freezes my body. My throat clamps inwards. I reach a hand to my throat as I struggle to breathe. My vision blurs while my lungs feel like they're on fire.

I distantly hear my name being called.

Tremors rack my body and I feel myself falling.

My mind has shut down before I hit the floor.

Dad?

//

"Kaelin? Kaelin can you hear me?"

The voice bounces around my aching head causing me to groan lightly. A hand gently strokes my hair.

"Just breathe." Mason whispers. "Just breathe."

My eyes shoot open and I find myself staring at the person I hate most. I am laying down on his lap on the same couch I passed out on. I open my mouth to scream but his hand is on my face before I can make a sound.

"Shhh," he says. "If I move my hand, you have to promise not to scream." Those eyes. The eyes I once looked into and found safety and peace I now see only betrayal. I can't even look at them anymore.

I scrunch up my eyes and wiggle my fingers. Mason's fingers continue to work their way through my hair. I try to bring my hand up to push him away, only to find my wrists are bound together with rope.

I attempt to wiggle my hands out of the rope but it's no use.

"Kaelin, please just stop struggling." Mason sighs while trying to keep me on the couch.

All of the anger I had bottled up explodes.

"You fucking kidnapped me Mason!" I scream. "What the fuck do you want me to fucking do!!??" I thrash around even harder and manage to free myself from him. I quickly get up and go straight for the door. I pull on it only to find it locked.

"Looking for this?" I whip my head around to see Mason holding a simple silver key. I glare at him.

"You are one pathetic son of a-" I begin but Mason cuts me off by pushing my body against the door. His face is centimeters away from mine.

I find myself thinking about Nolan, but I force my mind to focus. What do I need to get away from Mason? I need the key, and I need to stop him from following me, plus if I could get these ropes off my wrists that would make this a lot easier.

"You have that look on your face," Mason says before gently grabbing my chin and turning my face to look at him. "That look you get when you're trying to figure out a math problem or setting up a play... That look you used to get when I showed up to your practices."

He leans closer so that his lips are pressed against my forehead. I shut my eyes tight and refuse to look at him. My mind tries to shut out the sweet memories his lips bring. Key word - tries.

"So, what's your plan, Mason?" I murmur. He sighs and rests his chin on top of my head. I struggle to keep my breathing steady when his arms wrap around my waist.

He sighs before replying. "You're going to stay with us until your father, Gage, Nolan and Rick all agree to let Dryden and myself keep the gang. Basically, you're here to ensure that they don't try and raid our main base."

"And what if they do, Mason? What the fuck are you planning on doing to me?" My eyes begin to tear up. For the first time in years, I feel afraid.

His arms tighten around me. "I swear nothing is ever going to happen to you. If it comes to that, we will just have to take them down."

"Take them down? Are you going to kill my family and... Nolan?" Pain stabs my chest. I know the answer, but I have to hear him say it.

"If we have too, but I promise no harm will come to you." He says.

"Get the fuck away from me." I growl. My heart is angrily beating against my chest. My neck begins to heat up as Mason refuses to let me go.

"LET! ME! GO!" I scream. He only holds me tighter to his chest. I fight as hard as I possibly can. Slowly, my stamina dies, along with my hope. Mason pulls me back over to the couch and sits down with me still cuddled to his chest. Despite all this monster has put me through, somehow my mind can find peace in his arms.

Hot tears sting my eyes when I think of Gage and Nolan. I think of Mason killing my mom and that's when the dam overflows. Scratch that, gets destroyed with my flood of emotions. I start sobbing into his shoulder.

The clicking of the lock on the door halts my river of tears. I hide my face in Mason's neck to hide my tear streaked cheeks. Shame makes my ears burn in embarrassment.

"Mason, I need to talk to you." Dryden says. For some reason, I don't want Mason to let me go. I think I'm heartsick.

"Okay," Mason replies. "Right now?"

"Yes." Dryden says. I hear the door close before Dryden sits on the couch.

"What do you need?" Mason asks. His hand slips under my think shirt before he brushes his thumb back and forth across my hip bone. It feels amazing.

My plan was to eavesdrop on their conversation, but my body is betraying me. My eyelids are heavy and Mason's soothing thumb is not helping. I exhale and shut my eyes.

I will escape. I will see my family and Nolan again.

I will.

//
A/N

Thank you so much for your continued patience and for reading this far in my book! I have big plans for this book and I'm so excited to show you guys :) How did you like this twist?

Oh and if you hate Mason, don't worry, I hate him too lol

-Court